Ruby Beach (and my 2,000th post!)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited June 10, 2010 in Landscapes
I drove out to Ruby Beach yesterday to shoot sunset at high tide.

My last few visits to the ONP coast haven't been very fruitful, this one more than made up for it though. I was smiling the entire 4-hour drive back (except for the 30 minutes I pulled over and slept).

891923976_X2Hfp-XL.jpg

To give you an idea of the waves I was playing around in (needless to say I wasn't exactly dry by the end of it):

891917413_VuFPV-XL.jpg

This is what it looked like well after sunset into dusk (similar comp as above, but since it was high tide my compositions were a little more limited):

891916221_2EYga-XL.jpg

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    first one is sweet!!

I want to go back- especially now that we are hitting 112 degrees.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    ummm.... was this really a one day outing? the 8 hr round trip certainly looks like it was well worth the effort. incredible shots. great colors. love the tidal action also. you're still one crazy dude, though! :D and congrats on the 2k post.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    891917413_VuFPV-Th.jpg

Sooooo nice. And Ron, thanks for sharing so much on Dgrin clap.gifbowdown.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Those first two are delicious clap.gifclap
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    clap.gif

Nice job Ron! All of them are fantastic images.
  • LaurasmoraLaurasmora Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 7, 2010
    Amazing photos Ron!
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Congrats on the 2,000 posts Ron. I see many great photos here at Dgrin, but many people, but there are a few that when you see the name, you know it is going to be good. Thanks for sharing your photos here and I look forward to many more post.

BTW, these are great photos also!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Congrats on 2000! Wow. Always love to look at your pics, especially since they are local.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    first one is sweet!!

I want to go back- especially now that we are hitting 112 degrees.

112 degrees - ouch. It was a comfortable 55 on the beach with no wind (the latter is pretty rare).
    dls wrote: »
    ummm.... was this really a one day outing? the 8 hr round trip certainly looks like it was well worth the effort. incredible shots. great colors. love the tidal action also. you're still one crazy dude, though! :D and congrats on the 2k post.

It was a one day outing. I was debating staying over for sunrise, but I knew there was no way it would eclipse that sunset especially with the 100% cloud cover and rain in the forecast.
    Andy wrote: »
    Sooooo nice. And Ron, thanks for sharing so much on Dgrin clap.gifbowdown.gif

Thanks Andy - dgrin is wonderful, you guys do a great job!
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Those first two are delicious clap.gifclap

Why do you hate the third one Danny? lol3.gif
    theNOIZ wrote: »
    clap.gif

Nice job Ron! All of them are fantastic images.

Thanks Shaun!
    Laurasmora wrote: »
    Amazing photos Ron!

Thanks!
    ront wrote: »
    Congrats on the 2,000 posts Ron. I see many great photos here at Dgrin, but many people, but there are a few that when you see the name, you know it is going to be good. Thanks for sharing your photos here and I look forward to many more post.

BTW, these are great photos also!

Ron

Thanks Ron, it's great to have a place to share and see photos and give and receive feedback.
    Tharhawk wrote: »
    Congrats on 2000! Wow. Always love to look at your pics, especially since they are local.

We're fortunate to live in such a photogenic area, there's a lot of good stuff below 10,000 ft, I'll let the pros get the stuff above 10,000 ft :D
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    I see many great photos here at Dgrin, but many people, but there are a few that when you see the name, you know it is going to be good.

So true! seeing "coscorrosa" means a thread of outstanding images! These ones are fantastic! bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Congratulations on hitting 2,000 and also great photo to go with it. You weren't lying about that sunset being good. I really need to get out to the coast sometime soon.
    edited June 8, 2010
    Alpha_Plus wrote: »
    So true! seeing "coscorrosa" means a thread of outstanding images! These ones are fantastic! bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Thanks! And good job on spelling my name correctly, it's not easy, even with copy and paste lol3.gif
    dseidman wrote: »
    Congratulations on hitting 2,000 and also great photo to go with it. You weren't lying about that sunset being good. I really need to get out to the coast sometime soon.

Yep! Lupine should be blooming in Hurricane Ridge in a few weeks, and the mule deer and fawns should be out then too.
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Nice shootin', Ron. Love the colors and misty look in the first and last. Great stuff as always thumb.gif Wow, 2000 posts AND you have time to take photos too :D
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Tharhawk wrote: »

Remember: "Local" to Ron appears to be a 1,000-mile radius lol3.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Great shots Ron!
    You make me want to fly across the country in the hopes of getting shots even close to these! I do have a sister in Portland...will have to figure out the best time to get out there.
    E
    edited June 9, 2010
    Nice shootin', Ron. Love the colors and misty look in the first and last. Great stuff as always thumb.gif Wow, 2000 posts AND you have time to take photos too :D

Thanks!
    schmoo wrote: »
    Remember: "Local" to Ron appears to be a 1,000-mile radius lol3.gif

You can cover a lot of distance with a 15 hour drive!
    eoren1 wrote: »
    You make me want to fly across the country in the hopes of getting shots even close to these! I do have a sister in Portland...will have to figure out the best time to get out there.
    E

As far as beaches go, we really do have it good here in the Pacific Northwest, almost all of the beaches in Olympic National Park are stunning, and the Oregon coast has some great ones too.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Ron:

Your landscape work is stellar! Really top notch. These pics are no exception :D Great job!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited June 10, 2010
    dogwood wrote: »
    Ron:

Your landscape work is stellar! Really top notch. These pics are no exception :D Great job!

Thanks Pete, the key to good landscape photography is good landscapes, and there are plenty of those around, just not enough time!