divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited June 11, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

892950982_MrchY-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Very beautiful Diva!!!! A frameable keepsake! I had to study it for a second but then it popped for me ;)
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Yeah, the N was a PAIN! I could'nt find one anywhere, and that was the best I came up with (so far). I'll keep hunting around and see if anything else jumps out at me in due course...

These are really fun!
  • Options
    me_minihahame_minihaha Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    it is VERY good, the E is so beautiful I love that shot.
    Victoria
    "It's awesome to be ALIVE!"
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    893227464_QmAhz-L.jpg

Trying for more readability. It's killing me not to be able to clone that back fence rail out (I hate - HATE - that fence IRL and it doesn't improve in a photograph rolleyes1.gif) and I'd love to find a pop of blue to get in there somewhere, but this iz what I gotz so far. Any better?
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Definitely better. I think the A and D are not as immediately identifiable as the others.
  • Options
    oldtown_dreameroldtown_dreamer Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    beautiful! both of them. i like your first N better, but maybe it's because i love roses.

- Diana
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Ooh, very nice!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2010
    ooooh I really like the second r and n alot!! and I have to agree with whatshesaw that the a and d are not as immediately identifiable as the others. I still love that E its so amazing! I did like your first picture of the a and I could tell right away what it was. gosh these challenges are fun and they are challenges! you all are so amazing and it spurs me on to try to become more creative. I still feel like a child learning how to walk for the first time excited, scared and emberrassed when I fall, but it's all the learning process. I just wish I discovered photography alot sooner.
    Victoria
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2010
    And.... another one (this is addictive!)

At least I came up with an angle for the tree that loses the fenceline. It was really bugging me rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I also reshot the hydrangea and tucked some petals under so that hopefully the D is a little more apparent (that bloom is flat on one side already so it looked like a D to me, but I wanted to emphasise it even further).

I still keep hoping to find more floral ones - I really wish I could figure out how to incorporate the roses into this, but they don't make very good letters! I feel like I've exhausted my own garden, but maybe I'll get lucky this afternoon when I'm out and about...

894286370_NY3SC-L.jpg
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    The 2nd one is very nice.
    I agree that the D is not as easy to see as the others but I think the A isn't an issue.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2010
    I LOVE IT!!! I LOVE IT!! the last one you did is fabulous!! I think it is very beautiful!! And you are so right this is very addicting!! I am planning on going back out this weekend to see what else I can come up with. : )
    Victoria
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    I like the last one best, the 'r' isn't as pretty as the others, but it definitely reads easier than the previous 'r'. Love the new 'A'. Your first 'N' didn't bother me, and I thought it was quite clever the way you made it work, but the new one's good too!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2010
    Thanks everybody! I actually went with a modified version of #2 - I do like the purple geranium A, but the chunkier stem of the one made from the jalapeno bud seemed to fit better between the two next to it, and the brighter light lifted all that dark green at the front endto balance the pop of bright orange from the E lily.

These are so much fun - I wish I had a little more time at the moment, because I'd love to try some more!
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Nice images, but the idea is so much similar of JAG's... headscratch.gif

* In the first few days I had this idea too, but, when she came out with her work,
    I just abandoned it. - But that's just me ne_nau.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    I like this latest version better than the others (not that the others weren't good--I just like the newest one better). The 'd' is still not doing it for me though. I just don't see the 'd' even when I try, but that's my only nit.

The only similarity between JAG's entry and this one is that they both took letters from nature. JAG's word is different and the photos are different, so they are plenty different enough for me.

Sherry
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2010
    Wow - that's quite an accusation there, Tatiana! :nono

Sorry if this sounds a little grumpy, but I feel like I'm being made to defend myself against "plagiarism", which was neither the intention nor, in my opinion, the actuality. Fwiw, I hadn't even seen JAG's when I did mine and the words are entirely different so I'm really taken aback by your comment.

I think many of these images will have elements made from similar items - surely as long as the word is different we're all allowed our own interpretation of everyday items? In fact, I'd go as far as to say that kind of the POINT is to interpret everyday items in our own unique way to form the letters. Somebody else has done one which is all leaves, and there are quite a few other "nature" elements in some of the other submissions, too.

In any case, no harm done, but just to put the record straight.

Sherry, thanks for your comments - I may revisit that D again if I have time. It's funny, because it looked like a D to me as soon as I saw that bloom, but maybe it's when it was juxatposed against its rounded companions that it jumped out at me more? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2010
    Hi Divamum,

Please don't take this as an accusation. I know you are very creative person
    and there are so many other subjects out there.

As I said, in the first 2 days I took some plants/nature shots and I was thinking
    about "botanic" or "floral" or something similar. Well, when I saw that somebody else
    came with the same idea, I switched to something else... that's all.

Your images are very nice, anyway.

PS. The same thing happened with my OTTAWA word - somebody else posted the word
    stone into the contest, and coming with my (mainly stones) images of the parliament
    building in Ottawa would have been like the same idea... headscratch.gif, so I came up with COUNTRY,
    which I actually like more.

I agree that this can happen and it happened before, but personally I'm trying to avoid this situation
    if possible...

I hope this clarifies my comment.

PS2. Oh, one more thing: the days before, I also had the idea of kitchen tools. I took them
    all out, placed them on the table and then, something happened and distracted me from the
    project. A little later, looking on the forums, I found that the idea was taken already...

Well, I went and put all the tools back and resigned rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Re: #52: "Garden"
    What a beautiful image! Love it!

LiflanderPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2010
    Thanks Lif iloveyou.gif

Tatiana, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree - personally, rather than a problem, I find the individual interpretations drawn from similar source material an interesting study in how same/similar items can be used differently, but ymmv. Bottom line is that I think the various floral entries (there are currently 4 and since it's summer, I suspect flowers may well make quite a few appearances before we're done!) are different enough that they don't tread on each others' toes any more than I think your cow-ear "T" is somehow impinging on Hoofie's horse-ear "F". There's room for everybody thumb.gif
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    This looks great Diva--
    I particularly like your "E"--best of the bunch.

I see you have found an "N"--I wish people would stop rubbing their "n's" in my face, lolrolleyes1.gif. I'm still looking for mine.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    I agree with you, Diva. I went with a natural theme, because I thought it was more difficult to find letters in nature than in man made objects. S had me stumped for a while.

I thought Leaf and Leaves were a little close, but even there the interpretations were different. I'm sure when we get a red shoes challenge, everyone will come up with interesting interpretations. :D

Just for fun, I expect to spend some time looking for other words both before and after the challenge is over.
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    This looks great Diva--
    I particularly like your "E"--best of the bunch.

I see you have found an "N"--I wish people would stop rubbing their "n's" in my face, lolrolleyes1.gif. I'm still looking for mine.
    You should look for Zs instead =c)

Nice image =c) the D is the only one that gives me pause
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2010
    Thanks guys!!! thumb.gif Still hoping to maybe find a better D, but Real Life has taken over in the form of a blocked main sewer line. Yeah, really fun day here (NOT).
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2010
    Hi Diva,

I agree that there is definitely room for everybody and everybody's interpretation.
    It was just a suggestion - nothing personal.

About Hoofie's horse-ear I didn't think about, but now I see the similarity - you are right.
    Fair enough thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2010
    On the potato-chip prinicple - can't... do... just... one....

New A, new D
    897446437_s6Sc7-L.jpg

New A, new R, new D (trying so hard to work some roses into it!)
    897446474_23mU3-L.jpg
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    I think each of your vvariations is better than the last one! Of the last two that you posted, I like the first one (new A, new D). I think this R is more readable. You should quit while you're ahead!!! You have a nice entry here!

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.