Found: Canon 17-40 f/4L

noahcometnoahcomet Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited June 10, 2010 in House of Canon
Hi,

Looking for a good used copy of the Canon 17-40 f/4. $500 shipped and paypal-ed is my target (we can do gift option to save fees; I could also go with personal check, if that's preferable). Would like to see a pic or two of the lens/glass and one or two taken with the lens itself.

Have 100% positive feedback on eBay (username: poeyman). Also at Fredmiranda.

PLEASE DO NOT PM ME HERE; I don't check very often---if you've got the lens and are interested in my offer, please email me at noahcomet at gmail dot com.

Thanks!

Comments

• Tom AbbottTom Abbott Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Good luck at that price.... Good copies go for $675 ish..
  • noahcometnoahcomet Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Tom Abbott wrote: »
    Good luck at that price.... Good copies go for $675 ish..

Not so---my timing may have just been ever-so-slightly off on a copy for $450 at Fredmiranda yesterday (still TBD), and several copies have recently sold there in the 525-575 range, which is closer to the typical asking price for a flawless used copy. I've already had a local offer via Craigslist for 525, but nothing committed yet. Still looking!

Ones listed at the 600+ high end are by my count less common than ones listed in the 515-550 low range and they either don't sell, take very long to sell, or are essentially brand new in the box, which is more than I'm looking for. A little barrel-wear or a few non-IQ-affecting specks of dust on the glass are fine by me, as is an older date-code.

I realize I'm looking for a good deal---and it's a target, not an immovable offer---but I'm no more off the mark than your 675. Don't take my word for it, look at Fredmiranda.
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    I may be willing to part with mine. I find I don't use it much anymore since I rarely have a tripod and like to stop down a bit (in other words I need IS).

Here is a shot at full width, f/16:
    673745979_nKJsz-L-3.jpg

One at full length, f/16:
    673735295_x4c7R-L-2.jpg

And one somewhere in between, wide open:
    847345114_j9GG2-L-1.jpg

I don't have any pictures of the lens itself handy. If you're interested, I'll think about it today and snap some shots tonight.
    edited June 9, 2010
    Definitely interested---and stunning pictures!

Please do let me know once/what you've decided; and if you're willing to sell at my price-point, a pic or two of the lens would be nice (whenever you have a chance).

I hear you re: IS. I don't know that I'd want this glass if I didn't already have its FL covered with a stabilized lens (currently a Tamron with VC).

Did my graduate work at UCLA and have family in PV, so I know Redondo well; a much more photogenic area than Cleveland, my current location.
    edited June 10, 2010
    Bought: 17-40l
    No longer in need of this lens.
    noahcomet wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for a good used copy of the Canon 17-40 f/4. $500 shipped and paypal-ed is my target (we can do gift option to save fees; I could also go with personal check, if that's preferable). Would like to see a pic or two of the lens/glass and one or two taken with the lens itself.

Have 100% positive feedback on eBay (username: poeyman). Also at Fredmiranda.

PLEASE DO NOT PM ME HERE; I don't check very often---if you've got the lens and are interested in my offer, please email me at noahcomet at gmail dot com.

Thanks!