Options

Does this work?

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited August 22, 2005 in Holy Macro
Pic of orchid focus stacked from 3 pics taken at low DOF so only few areas are actually in focus (orchid is on a windowsill so back lit slightly).
Appreciate any views on whether the pic works.

32777600-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    It's interesting. Kinda looks like if you've had a couple too many smilie_bier2.gif. I'm guessing the "blur" around some of the petals is remanents of the focus stacking? It almost appears you took this shot through slightly frosted glass. I kinda like it, it definitely gives a cool effect.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    burkeburke Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    it's cool, and some great vibrant color!
    but there is quite a bit of ghosting around the petals.. is this from the layering? or is it camera shake? or??
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    It's interesting. Kinda looks like if you've had a couple too many smilie_bier2.gif. I'm guessing the "blur" around some of the petals is remanents of the focus stacking? It almost appears you took this shot through slightly frosted glass. I kinda like it, it definitely gives a cool effect.
    Nick
    Thanks Nick-
    No drinking involved unless it ws still around from the previous night :D . You are correct about the halo, think the stacking prog considered that to be background because it was so OOf.
    burke wrote:
    it's cool, and some great vibrant color!
    but there is quite a bit of ghosting around the petals.. is this from the layering? or is it camera shake? or??
    Thanks Burke,
    The ghosting is from the focus stacking, I wanted to see how it looked when I knew the stack would not completely work becausethe DOF was so thin on each shot, so there are multiple thin "slices" in focus (three) and the rest is OOF.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 21, 2005
    The color is vibrant. The multiple imagery might work in the right context, but generally I do not favor it here. Maybe as a cover for an acid-rock albumn it might workne_nau.gifD

The sharply focused area is dead center also, and does not seem ideal to me either. ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2005
    Redo of flower properly stacked
    Thanks Pathfinder for the comments! bncry.gif

Decided to retake the same flower, this time properly focus stacked with 4 images taken at F11 using a tripod. The stack worked very well.

33049266-L.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 22, 2005
    Thanks Pathfinder for the comments! bncry.gif

Decided to retake the same flower, this time properly focus stacked with 4 images taken at F11 using a tripod. The stack worked very well.

33049266-S.jpg

That's sweet. Much better than the first round. Very nice indeed!! thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    That's sweet. Much better than the first round. Very nice indeed!! thumb.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif15524779-Ti.gifthumb
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....