On St. Anne Street

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited June 13, 2010 in People
Captured on Kodak Portra 160 NC, Scanned, Edited in CS3.

1-
894825993_5AvFj-XL.jpg

2-
894825840_sdtU5-XL.jpg

3-
894827547_BqLfm-XL.jpg

4-
894827840_kTpcp-XL.jpg

5-894826105_S9K9q-XL.jpg

6-
894826306_TwGQR-XL.jpg

7-
894827442_JpmY8-XL.jpg

8-
894827114_Q3hpb-XL.jpg

9-
894826917_dVsjo-XL.jpg

Comments

• ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Wonderful editorial style shots. I love the processing as well. They're very modern in composition yet retro in finishing. What program did you use for most of your post work?
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Clixphoto wrote: »
    Wonderful editorial style shots. I love the processing as well. They're very modern in composition yet retro in finishing. What program did you use for most of your post work?

These are part of a project I have set out to complete using film rather than digital gear. I use Kodak Portra 160 NC ( natural color) color print film. A local camera shop develops and scans the negatives. The monotone conversions and other post processing was done using Adobe Photoshop CS3.

The camera is a 30-ish year old medium format Yashica Mat 124G twin lens reflex. Composing everything for the square frame is something that is very alien to me after shooting 35mm....and then digital ratios.

Thank you for looking and leaving a comment.thumb.gif
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Just wonderful. I can FEEL the air from these images. And they remind me of how I saw the world at age 8 or 9. So simple but so rich and real. thanks for sharing.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Nice set, Jeff!! Really loving it!

Who's the guy & what's the story behind him?
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Wow..does that take me back..way back....there's just something about film that has a look....not that I'd care to return on a regular basis but these are very cool. Thanks for sharing Jeff..fun stuff.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    All excellent, #7 is basically perfect. Well done!

MEDIUM FORMAT YAY! :D
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    The color shots really take me on journey. I can feel the summer heat. Jeff these are just superb.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    I love that we know a few things about this man by the end of this set. The processing is perfect, IMO. Love it. I love #7, but it's followed closely by many others. So nicely done!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited June 10, 2010
    Thanks to all who commented here. I always value the time it took to leave one as well as suggestions.

*Swartzy - There is "something" about film....but I am pretty sure that I have MORE dynamic range with a RAW from a digital SLR rather than scanning film. The midtones, though, even in the scans....are magic!

Shooting the images themselves...with film...is very forgiving. For example...with a backlit situation I just over expose...some...and they turn out wonderfully. Purely on guesses,,,,rolleyes1.gif

*Elaine- Been missin you, how's things?:D

Agnieszka wrote: »
    Nice set, Jeff!! Really loving it!

Who's the guy & what's the story behind him?

Angie.....Im going to link you to more about him from a different thread.....but first....

He is my father-in-law, and has always been the most un-complicated person I have ever met. No pretenses....what you see is....well....no surprises later. For 24 years I have swore that if I could have chosen a father-in- law I would have chosen him. The hours upon hours we have spent fishing...talking out the world's problems, about relationships, about growing old, about good times, and bad....and now and then about nothing much at all.

...but....

I stopped to see him yesterday after work and he did not immediately recognize me....

More on that here....
    http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1392176&postcount=3
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »

...but....

I stopped to see him yesterday after work and he did not immediately recognize me....

More on that here....
    http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1392176&postcount=3

Oh...reading that just took my breath away. What an incredible gift you are making. What a dear man he must be. What wonderful photos. What incredible care you are taking with this project. What a privilege for us to see just a bit of it here. Thank you for sharing.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited June 13, 2010
    Elaine wrote: »
    Oh...reading that just took my breath away.

It set me aback as well, but I expect this to become the norm at some point. A bit hard to swallow.
    What an incredible gift you are making. What a dear man he must be. What wonderful photos. What incredible care you are taking with this project. What a privilege for us to see just a bit of it here. Thank you for sharing.

When I set out to do this, I thought about the old boxes of photos that we (my generationmwink.gif) gets to enjoy. You know...the ones our parents and grandparents shot over the years. Yellowed....imperfect....memorials to places, people, and moments in time that they deemed worthy of remembering and sharing. And not only the images, but the joy and discovery of holding an old negative or slide up to a light and recognizing someone....or someplace...that has been held there all those years. And THAT is why I chose film for this. I want my kids to enjoy the pleasure...the LUXURY...of digging through my things one day and happen upon this box of images and negatives. Sentamental? Maybe even overboard, huh?ne_nau.gif

...but we are who we are, and I am all about that.

Besides, he deserves the "A" treatment, and so does the place on St. Anne Street.thumb.gif

Thanks for your comments and insight. You always see right through the smoke and mirrors.:D
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    Recently I shot nearly an entire vacation on film. I immediately figured your photos for film as well. Film really does have a look that I haven't seen come from digital too much. Really good. I like your style as well. More than just snap shots they are. Enjoyed looking at these.