Newest Midwestern crop

pward76pward76 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited June 22, 2010 in Landscapes
These are popping up like weeds all over western and central Iowa. This is the view from my grandfather's farm. CC welcomed - thanks for looking

894928799_YyAWL-XL.jpg

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    That’s an interesting photograph. I see the older, personal and fundamental in the foreground with the new technology in the skyline - and In between - the layers of beautiful green.Makes me think.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Nice shot. I much prefer seeing these than drilling rigs.
  • pward76pward76 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Eia wrote: »
    That’s an interesting photograph. I see the older, personal and fundamental in the foreground with the new technology in the skyline - and In between - the layers of beautiful green.Makes me think.

Thanks! That's the effect I was hoping for.
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Nice shot. I much prefer seeing these than drilling rigs.

Thanks Doug, I prefer these as well. According to Wikipedia, for 2009, Iowa was the second largest producer of wind power in the US (behind Texas)
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Great pic and I too prefer these over drilling rigs or coal power plants
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited June 11, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Great pic and I too prefer these over drilling rigs or coal power plants

Thanks Art!
  • Jeremy_22Jeremy_22 Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    Hey Pat. :)

I like the shot, I'd like to see you shoot it again and look at taking some variations on it...

- Look at playing with your DOF, I think 2.8 or even shallower could be neat. Use your longest lens if you can to enhance the shallow DOF - it also compresses the image, making your BG appear closer to the FG than it really is.
    - I think this shot backlit, namely with the sunrise/sunset would be sweet. Tripod and really slow down the shutter.
    - This scene screams pano to me. Play with the current image and crop off the top and some at the bottom. I did it using my browser window and like the result. Use the tripod, get a few shots and stitch them together. CS4 or CS5 does a great job of doing this for you. I even did a handheld pano (not always recommended), CS4 stitched 3 images together with no problem.
    edited June 22, 2010
    Hey Pat. :)

I like the shot, I'd like to see you shoot it again and look at taking some variations on it...

- Look at playing with your DOF, I think 2.8 or even shallower could be neat. Use your longest lens if you can to enhance the shallow DOF - it also compresses the image, making your BG appear closer to the FG than it really is.
    - I think this shot backlit, namely with the sunrise/sunset would be sweet. Tripod and really slow down the shutter.
    - This scene screams pano to me. Play with the current image and crop off the top and some at the bottom. I did it using my browser window and like the result. Use the tripod, get a few shots and stitch them together. CS4 or CS5 does a great job of doing this for you. I even did a handheld pano (not always recommended), CS4 stitched 3 images together with no problem.

Thanks Jeremy, glad you like it, and I appreciate the feedback.

I shot this at f22 because I wanted to get as much detail as I could, especially in the generators. The three closest were lit by the setting sun from camera right at about a 45 degree angle. Note that some of those generators are well over 2 miles away in Missouri and I'm standing in Iowa, facing Southeast. I was on a tripod with the 70-200 on the D3.

This is actually a cropped version of the original shot, which was wider (70mm). It's been cropped so as to fit the requirements for submission to the state fair while still telling the story.

There were composition considerations (outbuildings and other junk on either side of the frame) that prevented a panorama shot from this particular spot, and I did want the equipment in the foreground.

I have used CS4 to put together handheld panos before, and it is wicked cool.

Here's one from Kinnick Stadium - 50 yard line at the base of the press box. If I remember correctly, this was 13 to 15 images. It looks like a fisheye lens because I went 180 degrees with it.

642077494_UGkpQ-L-2.jpg

another from the South end zone, again, 180 degrees

642076608_HQmz7-L-2.jpg

I see Brian is leading the morning session of the Kelby Photo Walk, and that you are signed up. I'll be bringing both my daughters as well. Looking forward to seeing you both again.