Attn. Canadian photographers

SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
edited June 9, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
The federal government has introduced a copyright modernization bill: C-32. While it offers some badly needed changes, it falls far short of the mark and protects copies more than originals (i.e. it's designed to protect electronic media - DVDs, CDs, etc.).

This is the letter I sent to my member of parliament:

I have been a freelance writer and photographer for nearly twenty years. As an artistic creator, I rely on copyright protection to predict my income from which I support myself.

The federal government's new Copyright Bill, Bill C-32, that was introduced recently in the House, contains many excellent clauses to protect creators' rights. However, the following quote from the Writers' Union of Canada media release on this subject clearly expresses my concerns as a writer and photographer as well. “We were hoping for greater accessibility of our works through collective societies representing creators. This would have assured fair compensation for authors (and other creators). Instead, a new provision on education will restrict collective licensing. Another provision will allow a library, which may have purchased a single copy of a book, to scan and send copyright material to every library patron in Canada without payment to the author.”

Like the media release, I share the sentiment that "we are greatly disappointed that the Government has legislated new uses for consumers without providing appropriate compensation for writers (photographers and other creators).”

Like others, I foresee a significant reduction in my income, particularly through, for example, Access Copyright.

Furthermore, I understand that this aspect of the proposed legislation may contravene international obligations to which Canada is a signatory. I feel that this legislation should be referred to a standing committee for further study and revision before being given a second reading.

If you are a Canadian creator, write to your MP ASAP and insist that this bill be referred to committee. If it is given 2nd reading without referral to ctte., it is, defacto, approved and not much can be done to halt it.
Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
http://www.imagesbyceci.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
Picadilly, NB, Canada