Options

Two Beauties To Drool Over

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited June 12, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
This one just screams out that it's a man's car, doesn't it? It's a 1929 Ruxton Model C. The guy who built it, William Muller, stated that he wanted to create a " supercharged roadster for fellows....who wanted a fast road car ". Ruxton only built 289 cars in total, but this one is truly unique: it's a one-of-a-kind front-drive prototype with a custom body by Budd. There was never a top made for this car....either hard or soft.

This car gained a lot of fame when it was involved in a marketing ploy staged during the 1930 Indianapolis 500 race pre-race festivities. They staged a tug of war in the infield between this car and that year's pace car.....a Cord L-29. It must have won the event because it picked up the nickname " Alligator ".

Only 18 Ruxtons survive and this is the only Muller designed front-drive version to last....not hard to figure since it's the only one ever made.

895721553_j5FAx-XL.jpg

This next glorious beast is a 1930 Cadillac Series 452 A V-16. Only 105 V-16 roadsters were ever made. Only two U.S. manufacturers ever produced cars with a V-16 engine.....Cadillac and Marmon. This one has a 452 C.I. OHV engine putting out 165 HP.

Even though this car hit the market just two months after the onset of the Great Depression, it was wildly successful in sales among the wealthy and helped cement the status of Cadillac cars in this country.

895721824_hTXVy-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    I like the second car :D

It has some big headlights. There looks like two doors by the running board. Do those open...looks like one is slightly open.
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

I really like both of these, that first one is really unusual ,do the headlight folddown into the grill?

Really neat shooting, I can't imagine seeing these beauties in that wonderful looking setting.

Very nicely done.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2010
    Hi Mary,

It's hard to not like that Cadillac....just a stunning car. I do believe those " doors " are to pull out storage trays. That one is not open....you're just seeing the end section, which is rather thick. Can't you just see yourself crusing around in that thing?

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2010
    Hi Craig,

The headlights on the Ruxton are stationary. They are some of the most unusual looking lights I've seen....but they fit this car perfectly.

You're right about this setting being spectacular. Those 5 high-end condos you see are right on the ocean. Out of view, just to the right of the condos, is the Ritz-Carlton Hotel. The cars are displayed all up and down the 10th and 18th holes of the golf course. All of these facilities are within a development named Summer Beach. I was the original Director of Sales and Marketing for Summer Beach, having launched the development in 1985. I moved to another development before these condos and the Ritz came on the scene. This whole area is gorgeous....just north of Jacksonville on Amelia Island.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Hi Mary,

It's hard to not like that Cadillac....just a stunning car. I do believe those " doors " are to pull out storage trays. That one is not open....you're just seeing the end section, which is rather thick. Can't you just see yourself crusing around in that thing?

Take care,

Tom

Storage trays...what a neat idea to have them there. Yes...I can see myself crusing around in this car :D
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Would have to go with the 1930 Cadillac Series 452. Easy to see why those
    who could afford it at the time would find this car just the thing. I'm sure
    they also had someone around to keep it all buff for them too.
    Michael
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I like the second car :D
    15524779-Ti.gif me too. Cool car thumb.gif

Both images, especially the second one, seem to have a bot of a strange blue/green cast.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2010
    Hey Michael,

I think you're right, buddy. I doubt very few folks who bought a car like this washed and waxed it themselves.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2010
    Hi Ivar,

Thanks for looking in and I appreciate your observation. I posted these pictures from one of my laptops....which I almost never use for this purpose. I'm posting them again ( below ) from my regular photo-work desktop. There's a world of difference between the graphics cards, etc.
    Do you notice a difference between the two sets?

Tom

896702523_e9LMW-XL.jpg

896702746_k3L7m-XL.jpg
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Much better thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2010
    Ivar,

Thanks again. It makes me feel justified to have spent a ton on money on my primary system....particularly the graphics card.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    I agree with Ivar - something v. strange with the blues/greens, but no matter, the second set looks much better!

The headlamps on the Ruxton Model C look v. strange - I wonder do you have any close-ups? Their design looks like something from a different (more recent) era. They put me in mind of a Pifco electric horn I had on my first bicycle!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2010
    Hi Wil,

Unfortunately, I didn't get a close-up shot of the Ruxton. I have seen pictures of other regular-production Ruxtons from 1929 ( they only made them during 1929 - 1930 ) and many of them used that same headlight.

It's odd about that strange blue/green cast on the first set of these shots. As I said, I ran them through a laptop I seldom use for photo work. When I post shots, I rarely look at the photo again other than to see it came through OK. Until Ivar pointed out the odd cast, I wasn't aware of it.....it didn't appear that way on the laptop screen. I ran the second set off the same photo card and under the very same PP process ( which is to say almost none ) but this time I was using my main photo-work system. I have no clue on how to explain the difference.

Take care my friend,

Tom