external edit in lightroom 2.0

Kevin CTMPKevin CTMP Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited June 10, 2010 in Finishing School
Hello everyone,

Everytime I select an image in lightroom and edit it in photoshop, it always creates the new file in lightroom as a tif instead of a jpg....does anyone know how to change it to save copies as jpegs?

thanks,

Kevin

www.ctm-photography.net

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Kevin CTMP wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Everytime I select an image in lightroom and edit it in photoshop, it always creates the new file in lightroom as a tif instead of a jpg....does anyone know how to change it to save copies as jpegs?

thanks,

Kevin

www.ctm-photography.net

Any particular reason this is an issue? PS native format is TIFF/PSD, so that are the only options available to you. JPEG is not an option.

In fact, you don't want PS to convert to JPEG...you really want Lightroom to do this. Since JPEG is a lossy format, you only want to do this once. So if you ask PS to do it on import into Lightroom, and then ask Lightroom to do it again, you will get some loss of the image information.

Lightroom edits without touching the image file, so the assumption is that when you are done with all your edits, including those done in PS, you will then EXPORT into the file image format of your choice, such as JPEG. This way there is only one file conversion.
  • Kevin CTMPKevin CTMP Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    cmason wrote: »
    Any particular reason this is an issue? PS native format is TIFF/PSD, so that are the only options available to you. JPEG is not an option.

In fact, you don't want PS to convert to JPEG...you really want Lightroom to do this. Since JPEG is a lossy format, you only want to do this once. So if you ask PS to do it on import into Lightroom, and then ask Lightroom to do it again, you will get some loss of the image information.

Lightroom edits without touching the image file, so the assumption is that when you are done with all your edits, including those done in PS, you will then EXPORT into the file image format of your choice, such as JPEG. This way there is only one file conversion.

OK, everything you said makes abosolute perfect sense :).... I guess I should have done my research a little more before jumping to conclusions....especially considering i already know most of that..lol

thanks!