My old MAC just died

Dave CDave C Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited June 13, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Click, click,click is all I get.So now I need a replacement , but since I am just starting to try to learn the CS5 series I do not need to go nuts.What to do... Go to ebay and see what is there that is reasonable or try to look locally , I am in the sticks, and see if I can find A USED UNIT THAT CAN HANDLE THE cs5.I can not type either, sorry.I am just beginning to learn and want to learn the whole of the CS5 as best I can.No schools close enough to go to classes so I figure I would teach myself.... I had planned on renting a camera here in a week or two to get the feel for the digital world for the first time ,but with out a MAC I am dead in the water processing the pictures in photoshop ...Any ideas???? Thanks....

Comments

• gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    if it's indeed making the dreaded "click of death", then most likely it's just a dead hard drive. replace that and reload the OS and you're back in business...no need to spend 20x more on a new computer (unless you want/need a newer one).

Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • BunderfeldBunderfeld Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 10, 2010
    Options for Training
    You could always check out some of the online training sites, like Kelby Training or Digital Tutors.

As for a new computer, the two words I never put in the same sentence when it comes to get a new Computer are "Can't"+"Wild". People always seem to think it's best to just get by when making a Computer Purchase, and while I'm a geek, and proud of it, I'm opposite of that thinking. I think if you are going to get a Computer, you should get one that will do the job well, last a LONG time, have room for growth (giving you a chance to extend the life of the Computer). With that said, you are in a quandry when it comes to MAC's, as they are pretty much cut-n-dry as to what they have and how Customizable it can get. No, I'm not a MAC basher, just pointing out the obvious. With today's PC's, and yes it sucks to have to rely on Microsoft OS, you can Customize the Machine to the nth degree and get yourself something that could last up to 6 or 7 years. While the initial cost outlay is going to be more then you hope, in that 6 or 7 years, you only have ONE machine purchased, not 2 or 3 as you try and keep up with the power edge of the new machines. I would strongly consider looking at Puget Systems for a Custom Built PC if you can go in that direction, if not, then I say get the MAC. MAC's are better built and more stable then most of the entry level PC's you can get from Dell and other PC Manufacturer. Only if you can afford to go custom, would I say go with a strong top-end custom build PC.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Any chance you created a clone drive, with something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! ? The Mac can be started in Target mode, allowing you to boot it from a FireWire attached external drive. This is something every Mac user should do so if you haven't done it, once you get your Mac back up, be sure to download one of these tools and get a spare harddrive.

Did you use Time Machine? If so, simply insert your OS/X install disk into the DVD drive, and you can boot from there, as well as restore to a new hard drive (when you get one)

Assuming you dont have that, you should check out the great repair guides at http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/Mac these will show you how to replace your Harddrive yourself, which is probably a good place to start, and will tell you whether you have a more serious problem or not.
  • Dave CDave C Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    cmason wrote: »
    Any chance you created a clone drive, with something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! ? The Mac can be started in Target mode, allowing you to boot it from a FireWire attached external drive. This is something every Mac user should do so if you haven't done it, once you get your Mac back up, be sure to download one of these tools and get a spare harddrive.

Did you use Time Machine? If so, simply insert your OS/X install disk into the DVD drive, and you can boot from there, as well as restore to a new hard drive (when you get one)

Assuming you dont have that, you should check out the great repair guides at http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/Mac these will show you how to replace your Harddrive yourself, which is probably a good place to start, and will tell you whether you have a more serious problem or not.
    No I am illiterate when it comes to computers to a point and no back ups where in place .It is no real big deal it seems as I can just put another hard drive in and reload the old OS X system.Thanks for the link.I just will keep going on with the G4 to learn the basics of the CS3 Photoshop I bought.
  • Dave CDave C Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    Bunderfeld wrote: »
    You could always check out some of the online training sites, like Kelby Training or Digital Tutors.

As for a new computer, the two words I never put in the same sentence when it comes to get a new Computer are "Can't"+"Wild". People always seem to think it's best to just get by when making a Computer Purchase, and while I'm a geek, and proud of it, I'm opposite of that thinking. I think if you are going to get a Computer, you should get one that will do the job well, last a LONG time, have room for growth (giving you a chance to extend the life of the Computer). With that said, you are in a quandry when it comes to MAC's, as they are pretty much cut-n-dry as to what they have and how Customizable it can get. No, I'm not a MAC basher, just pointing out the obvious. With today's PC's, and yes it sucks to have to rely on Microsoft OS, you can Customize the Machine to the nth degree and get yourself something that could last up to 6 or 7 years. While the initial cost outlay is going to be more then you hope, in that 6 or 7 years, you only have ONE machine purchased, not 2 or 3 as you try and keep up with the power edge of the new machines. I would strongly consider looking at Puget Systems for a Custom Built PC if you can go in that direction, if not, then I say get the MAC. MAC's are better built and more stable then most of the entry level PC's you can get from Dell and other PC Manufacturer. Only if you can afford to go custom, would I say go with a strong top-end custom build PC.
    If I go out and spend some money on a new system I will think along your thought process for the PC.Thanks for the online tutorial sites as well....