getting a handle on color management

LinhLinh Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited June 13, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Ok, I've run into a bit of a problem. I thought I had things sorted out, but I'm just now noticing more issues outside of my test beds. I usually test my home pc (calibrated w/ spyder 3, dell 2408, wide gamut), iMac (20" white, stock), and work pc (dell 19" ultrasharp, stock).

I test across IE(Safari)/FF/Chrome usually. I switched to chrome at work, and use chrome w/ --enable-monitor-profile flag at home.

I just happened to notice w/ FF@ work, my images were way too saturated/contrasty/reddish. I started to mess around and found if I turned off color management in FF, it would then all look fine. chrome does not have color management, so it seemed work well there.

All original files are raw from a 5D/40D/GF1. Exported as JPG w/ sRGB colorspace (Adobe RGB only makes a difference locally, everything seems to show the proper colors that aren't color managed).

So, my question is, where did I go wrong? Assuming I was able to explain that and someone was able to actually follow it.... but the image in question: http://linh.smugmug.com/Other/test/12495641_TMCcv#895817974_MkjWq (and likely much of my own galleries can be used as examples)

I have a wide gamut monitor, so sRGB in a non-color profile aware app would look wrong, correct? Shouldn't it then look closer to right in a non-color profile aware non-wide gamut environment?

*edit* ok, now I t hink I may have just wasted a bunch of time and my monitor at work might just be wonky. I forgot I have access to a dell mini 9... tried it on there, consistent across the board. not quite exact as my home pc, but, it is worlds better that what i was getting otherwise. As of now, I don't think I'm really doing anything wrong, and this is mostly an issue w/ the fact there are a wide variety of environments to deal with... yes? no?

Thanks for any help
vote on the following smugmug feedback:
CSS Block To Flow Down To Children Folders/Pages/Galleries
[URL="http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1104583-a-bulk-
gallery-download-button-for-my-visitors"]bulk download option for clients[/URL]

Comments