Last Minute Help...What Would YOU Do?

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited June 12, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I've been able to land a fairly important gig -- shooting Studio Stroll here in Asheville. As you can see from their webpage, it's a two day "open house" here in the River Arts District. 120 artists join together to have a giant open house.

They're paying me a small (yet nice) shooting fee.

I would like to be able to capitalize on this event and I'm not really sure what I'm asking for help on here other than to say...

...how would YOU do this shoot to maximize the income from it. I'm keeping all "rights" to all photographs, so any artists that want shots of themselves (or with their products) will have to buy through me.

Your thoughts? And maybe I can get the question clarified in my mind as this thread grows.

Thanks for the help!
Jerry Nelson
www.meesoon.smugmug.com

Comments

• liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Re: Last Minute Help...What Would YOU Do?
    I would think about how I would do marketing/advertising so that evryone knowss my photos are for sale.
    I might also contact local orgs like chamber of commerce and newspapers to try to get press.

I'd love to hear how it works out. Good luck!

LiflanderPhotography.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    How are you supposed to shoot this event? Casually stroll from shop to shop and shoot away totally candid?
    Where do the strollers (public) fit in? When is the event? Do you have anything to promote yourself to the strollers (like logoed t-shirt to wear, logoed hat)??

I would be wearing a logoed t-shirt (just ordered from Vista Print) with company name, website and phone on the back and maybe OFFICIAL Photog on very First line
    of the backside.............and lots of b-cards............

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    liflander wrote: »
    I would think about how I would do marketing/advertising so that evryone knowss my photos are for sale.
    I might also contact local orgs like chamber of commerce and newspapers to try to get press.

I'd love to hear how it works out. Good luck!

LiflanderPhotography.com

Thanks! I've already put together a little (5x8) handout to leave with each artist that gives them the URL (CLICK HERE) where the shots will be posted. Also, through the promoter of the event, I've sent an email reminding the artists that I'll be there for both days AND gave them a coupon code (thanks SMUGMUG) that gives the artist 50% off on digital downloads (the coupon has to be used within a week of the shoot).

Since I do a little freelance for the local indie paper, I've talked to the editor and they also want shots from the event.

Studio Stroll is held twice a year here in town and it is THE arts festival in western North Carolina. So this has outstanding potential for residual income and work for a season to come.

Thanks again for the input!
    Jerry
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com
    edited June 10, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    How are you supposed to shoot this event?

A combination. I'll be going to the River Arts District (RAD) today and tomorrow and start getting "portrait-type" shots of each artist in their studio and then Saturday and Sunday will be strolling around trying to capture the "feel" of the stroll.

The artists themselves are my primary target market and not the general public. But I'm sure some public will be included in the random shots taken.

Thanks and blessings
    Jerry Nelson
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    I think if the artists are your target make sure you offer a sale on digital versions of the portraits, it seems like artists need photos like this for PR more than anything else.

I might also offer a "website" package to them where you could document their work and they get the jpgs to re-work their art website. In my experience many artists have terrible pictures of art on the web because it can be difficult to photograph.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
    edited June 12, 2010
    quark wrote: »
    I might also offer a "website" package to them where you could document their work and they get the jpgs to re-work their art website. In my experience many artists have terrible pictures of art on the web because it can be difficult to photograph.

Thanks for the input. What do you mean by "website" package?

Blessings
    Jerry Nelson
    meesoon.smugmug.com