Options

NHRA Summer Nationals

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited July 16, 2010 in Sports
Just a few from the NHRA drag races at Heartland Park Topeka a few weeks back. If you've never been to a big drag race you're really missing something. Even if you're not a racing fan there is an amazing amount of shooting to do at one of these events. Just remember to bring your hearing protection :ear

Some of these shots are pretty lame, I'm sharing them more as examples of the kinds of shots you might find at a race.

A typical NHRA event is held over three days (Friday-Sunday). From a photography standpoint, Friday is probably the best day. It's less crowded and things happen at a slower pace (at least in paddock, not necessarily on the track :D). At Topeka this year, Friday's start was delayed by three hours due to a damp track. Because of the late start there were some sights that spectators usually wouldn't get to see. Usually you wouldn't see a bunch of the "Safety Safari" mopeds in one place like this. They would normally be spread out all over the track and paddock.
877332020_tKSdi-L.jpg

The paddock is where I really enjoy shooting. Unlike in most other forms of motor sport, at a drag race you get a great chance to see the cars and drivers up close. Here is Amanda Matusek's Cobra Jet Mustang. Drag racing fans might want to remember Amanda's name. She's one hell of a driver!
877332361_uxJwX-L-1.jpg

With the smaller crowds and more relaxed schedule of Friday even some of the pro teams will let you walk into their paddock areas and shoot. Just remember to ask nicely and stay out of everyone's way!
877333084_cy9V9-L.jpg

So what about action shots of the racing? At a NHRA event you're pretty much limited to shooting from the grandstands.

I told you there weren't any crowds on Fridays:
877391539_7MBfX-L.jpg

through a 80-200:
888806677_rtA2n-L.jpg

Sundays are when the crowds get big. The up side is plenty of candid shooting (trust me there were some interesting people there). Also the drivers come out for signing autographs.

Ashley Force:
877333238_pnx4u-L.jpg

Drivers being interviewed is another common site.

Terry McMillen being interviewed by ESPN after his first career elimination round win:
877333786_7UDLE-L.jpg

I had no idea that ESPN reporters could not dress themselves:
877334156_eigQk-L.jpg

Things get pretty hectic in the paddock on Sundays. Teams have only about one hour to get the car ready between runs. Here the Copart Top-Fuel team is actually swapping the entire engine out before their next round. While the mechanics work on the engine, driver Brandon Bernstein hops down off the rear tire after retrieving the parachute (which had been tossed up and over the rear wing while the car was towed back to the paddock).
877374921_mhAKf-L.jpg

Brandon's dad Kenny stopping by to see how his boys are doing:
877375239_kauUM-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. Hopefully I haven't bored anyone to death. Maybe next year I can con my way into a photo pass and get to shoot from a better location. This guy seemed to have a pretty good spot:
877334251_S9GAs-L-1.jpg

You might want to check out sirsloop's thread to see some great examples of from-the-stands shooting!

As always C & C welcome!

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    Very nice work, Cletus! I've been to Englishtown a number of times, and it's always a thrill to see!
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    Nice shots! Good luck with the photo pass though. Only way to get one of those is if you're shooting for a big magizine or for a big website. Getting to know someone from NHRA Public Relations might help. :D

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    Hey Cletus - Dont give up hope! 3 years ago i was in the stands and this past weekend i was handed a hard card for shooting trackside! I was less then 5 feet away from those beasts as they launched! First few runs i stood i awe just watching as i remember VERY clearly sitting in the stands trying to figure out how to get 'down there'! Word to the wise - if there is Jet Cars there - DONT STAY TRACKSIDE! I took my shots but didnt get out of the way in time. It was...warm!

I will post some pics in the next couple days!
    ...more to come!
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2010
    Hey everyone, I hadn't checked in on this thread in a while and missed all the great comments. Thanks!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited July 13, 2010
    Looks like you had a great time and grabbed so nice pictures.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ksullyksully Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    Nice shots. I like #3. Do you go to the races much? I was at my first one this year and had a blast!
    2 Canon 50D's - 580 EXII - Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2010
    ksully wrote: »
    Nice shots. I like #3. Do you go to the races much? I was at my first one this year and had a blast!

Thanks!

Glad you had fun at the drags. I checked out your thread and you've got some great shots thumb.gif

I've been trying to get to at least one NHRA event a year. There are also several nostalgia events around that I usually go out for. I keep meaning to contact the drag strip a few miles from my house and inquire about photo passes to their regular week night events.

You planning on trying to get out to any more races soon?
  • Options
    ksullyksully Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    cletus wrote: »
    Thanks!

Glad you had fun at the drags. I checked out your thread and you've got some great shots thumb.gif

I've been trying to get to at least one NHRA event a year. There are also several nostalgia events around that I usually go out for. I keep meaning to contact the drag strip a few miles from my house and inquire about photo passes to their regular week night events.

You planning on trying to get out to any more races soon?

Hopefully going to Brainerd in August. thumb.gif
    2 Canon 50D's - 580 EXII - Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2010
    ksully wrote: »
    Hopefully going to Brainerd in August. thumb.gif

If you do, walk through the Pro Stock paddock and look for Dave River (River Racing Cobalt). Great guy. Last year at Topeka he spent a half an hour talking with my wife and I. Had my wife sit in the car, showed her all the controls and explained all the procedures he goes through before, during and after a run:
    551897253_7wRxT-L.jpg

We stopped by to see him and his kids (his kids are his crew) this year, but they were working like crazy and we figured it was best to leave them alone.