Sunrise on the Bay

craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
edited June 15, 2010 in Landscapes
I went out early in the morning one day last week to shoot the sunrise by the edge of the San Francisco Bay just south of the San Mateo Bridge. I was equipped with my latest toys, a 30-year-old Nikon FE and a bag of manual-focus Nikkor lenses, fueled up with a roll of Velvia 50. These images were shot over a period of ten minutes or so, and the sunrise was incredible, aided by highly cooperative cloud layers.

Since film cameras don't record EXIF data and I wasn't taking notes, all I can really be sure of (from memory) is which lenses were used (50mm f/1.4 AI, 28mm f/2 AI, and 20mm f/4 AI), though I'm pretty sure all of these were shot at f/5.6 or f/8.

I haven't done any digital PP on these other than horizon leveling and cropping. The horizon may not seem perfectly level, but that's mostly due to the inconsistent thickness of the fog bank in the distance, plus the barrel distortion that is part of the charm (or at least character) of these old manual-focus wide-angle lenses, and the shadow of the bridge making the left-hand part of the horizon seem lower than it really is.

Comments welcome.

1) 50mm
896151135_g7zw9-L.jpg

2) 28mm
896151086_jxb69-L.jpg

3) 28mm
896151422_E7BTe-L.jpg

4) 20mm
896151483_QX5kn-L.jpg

5) 20mm
896151712_pYKXx-L.jpg
http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.

Comments

• AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    #1 & #5 clap.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    these are beautiful 1st and 5th are awesome
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    these are beautiful 1st and 5th are awesome

15524779-Ti.gif
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    Thanks for the kind words, all!
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    #5 gets my vote! Nice series altogether.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com