Found: Sigma 80-400 OS

trucksrfuntrucksrfun Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited June 15, 2010 in House of Canon
I am looking for a canon mount sigma 80-400. I am on a budget (college student) but I would like good quality as well. I wouldn't like to spend more than $500 if possible but that depends upon the lens. If you have either this lens or a similar one that you are willing to sell message me. I can pay via Paypal and I live in the USA.

I am new to this site and relatively new to photography in general and I would like something in the telephoto range with image stabilization.

Comments

• noahcometnoahcomet Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    Hi,

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the 80-400 is only Nikon mount, isn't it? Don't think there is one for Canon. (Sorry if I'm wrong about this.) [Actually, I just found what you're referring to at Amazon, but it seems to have been discontinued---? Perhaps some used copies still around.]

For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of the Tamron 18-270 lens, which isn't going to give you quite as much zoom* as a 400 would, but it's in your price range (and there's an $80 rebate right now), and has Tamron's Vibration Control, which many consider to be the best image stabilization system around. It really is phenomenal, using horizontal, vertical AND diagonal stabilizers (whereas most, including Canon and Sigma rely on only two directions).

*Not sure what camera you're using, but assuming it's got a crop-factor (XS, XSi, Tli, 40D, 50D, 7D, etc), the 270 telephoto will actually be, effectively, at/above 400mm, so it will be plenty of zoom for most purposes.

I say this not as a Tamron employee (I'm not) or as someone who's looking to sell his lens (I'm hanging onto mine). Just unbiased advice. It's not the sharpest lens in the world, by any means, but more than adequate for most users in most situations, and the 18-270 range makes it just about the most versatile all-purpose (wide-angle to telephoto) lens there is.

I'm also a big fan of Canon's 70-300 IS USM lens, which won't give the wide-angle of the Tamron, but is generally a very good telephoto zoom with stabilization. You can probably find a used copy in your price range, either here or at http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10 (where things tend to move very quickly!).

Happy hunting!
  • trucksrfuntrucksrfun Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 11, 2010
    Actually, I had been looking at the Sigma 18-250. The reviews comparing it and the Tamron show the image quality to be about a toss up between the two but the Sigma costs a good deal less, focuses faster (even though I manually focus most of the time) and doesn't experience as much lens creep so it seems to be a little better to me. The reason I was looking at the 80-400 is because it is able to reach out a good deal further while still being relatively small and producing good results. As far as I can tell though, it was discontinued a few years ago at least for the Canon mount.
  • noahcometnoahcomet Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    I had the Sigma 18-250 at one point too---also a good lens. I'd agree about the faster focus, but Sigma's Optical Stabilization is not in the same league as Tamron's Vibration Control (for whatever that's worth to you). And as for lens creep, in my experience using both, they're the same. Both have a lens-lock feature at the low end (18mm) that keeps the lens from extending, but when unlocked both will creep. So, for that matter, will the Canon 70-300 that I mentioned, but it's not as bad. They're all front-heavy lenses.

Both the Sigma 18-250 and the Tamron 18-270 are also a little stiff in the middle of their zoom-range, but that loosens up after a while.

If there's anyway you can get up to $550 or so, you can get into a used copy of the Canon 70-200 F/4 L lens; as far as optics go, that would be---far far far and away---the best option. No stabilization (the IS version used fetches closer to 1k), but at f/4, you wouldn't need it under most circumstances.

Anyway, this is me offering unsolicited opinions so I'll shut up. You've got some great options and I'm pretty sure you'll find what you're looking for.

trucksrfun wrote: »
    Actually, I had been looking at the Sigma 18-250. The reviews comparing it and the Tamron show the image quality to be about a toss up between the two but the Sigma costs a good deal less, focuses faster (even though I manually focus most of the time) and doesn't experience as much lens creep so it seems to be a little better to me. The reason I was looking at the 80-400 is because it is able to reach out a good deal further while still being relatively small and producing good results. As far as I can tell though, it was discontinued a few years ago at least for the Canon mount.
    edited June 11, 2010
    I have heard alot of very good comments about the 70-200 f4 but I do not think it would really fit my needs. I understand that I won't get nearly as sharp images out of either the sigma or the tamron superzooms but I could use those when I go walking around to places such as the zoo or a park with friends. The biggest advantage to something like the Sigma 80-400 would be the added length on the end to where if I go to a baseball game or something I could get some good closeups. The 70-200 is 1) not really wide enough to go walking around and 2) doesn't reach out far enough for when I really want to get something far away.
    edited June 11, 2010
    Sigma 80 - 400
    Thanks for all of your help and advice.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    The Sigma 80-400os also comes in a Canon mount. How do know this? I own one.
    There are some trade offs with this lens, at least with my copy of it.
    You have to stop down to f8, wide open is pretty soft.
    When I have it on a camera that pumps out many frames a second, it doesn't seem like it keeps up.
    I don't know it thats a possible problem with the lens or not.

It's a grey day here, but I'll put the lens on my 7D and snap a few shots with it.
    I haven't used it in a while, like, 2 years.
    I'm the original owner, it would come with the front and rear caps, lens hood, tripod mount, and carrying case.
    Lets see how well it works before talking about price.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited June 14, 2010
    I took a number of shots with the Sigma 80-400os on a 7D.

The lens, although it looks in great shape, it doesn't work perfectly.
    When shooting multiple shots, the lens slows down, unless you turn off the os, then it seems to be fine.
    The zoom control isn't as smooth as it once was, it seems a bit stiff.

I'd sell it for $412 shipped. Odd number I know, paypal fees.

A few straight from camera shots here: LINK
    dave.

edited June 15, 2010
    I was asked for some photos of the lens.

Remember, this lens has been unused for quite some time. So there is a bit of dust on it.
    The lenses are clean. In the shot of the rear element, it looks like there's dust on the inside.
    I looked at it after I loaded the shot on the computer, my only guess is that those spots
    are reflexions from something in our backyard. I can't see it by looking at it in the house.
    There is some wear on the tripod/handle. Probably from me carrying it around by it.

There is a strap for the lens also, (not shown) and the original box.

902670961_QX6vM-XL.jpg

902670979_uNiVS-XL.jpg

902670850_By8Yr-XL.jpg

902670767_wyerS-XL.jpg

902670868_CoU3J-XL.jpg

902670900_68rs4-XL.jpg
    dave.