13 Full Moons of 2009

lunarphilelunarphile Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited June 11, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Hello dgrinners.

I've been a busy bee the past month or so working on customizing my site thanks to help from forum members. And also working on a rather monster sized collage that I can't help but to show off considering how long it took to create it. Aside from many hours spent collaborating with a friend infinitely more skilled in graphic design than I am, it was also time consuming to just save the master file for this in Photoshop since it is 40"x60" @ 300DPI. I would go and eat dinner while it saved the 1.53GB file with dozens of layers.

So without further rambling here is my lunar masterpiece for 2009.
889848007_sfBJ8-XL-1.jpg

I'm working on the same but better for 2010, I've got the 5 full moons so far this year and with two eclipses happening this year my 2010 full moon collage should be even more interesting.

I made a <a href="http://lunarphile.blogspot.com/2010/06/today-is-day.html"&gt; blog post about it here</a> but to quickly review what my blog said in this collage you can see the size of the moon changing if you study the center column of moon images. This is due to the wobbly orbit of the moon around Earth that causes it to appear slightly larger and smaller through out the year, even though technically it does not change size.

Regards,

Jason "LUNARPHILE" Eskridge

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    A project worth doing. Really well done. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    Nice project :-)
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    I am impressed by your dedication and perseverance in mainatining the project for an enire year.

What the heck do you do f you have a thick cloud cover during a full moon,
    start over next year?

Sam
  • lunarphilelunarphile Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    thanks DaddyO & Jeroen :)

Sam I almost did miss the April "PINK" moon due to overcast skies. As you can see it is a little dimmer than the others. There was also some pretty thick cover during the December "COLD" moon but not as much as April. I had to go out several times through out the night and waited for the right moment. You can see how cloudy it was by looking at the range of 8 pics dated 20090408-#### starting with this one. I really had to stalk the moon that night :)

I also had to do some major editing and halo haze control for this collage with the PINK and COLD moons. I used a circular gradient to help fade the hazy halo from the edge of the moon which you can see on a calibrated monitor but thankfully don't show up very much in my actual print from BayPhoto that I just got this week. I took a few free webinars on color management work-flow for accurate prints and learned a lot that helped fine tune this. And I can't forget that my friend Monica helped a lot with ideas for the text layout and alignment.

To answer the question of what do I do if I miss one? I think it would be cry a lot :cry I actually tried in 2008 but missed the January full moon due to overcast skies and again in July due to post "1st photo vacation camera fatigue" so the pressure was on to make 2009 a success. I am happy to report that I'm 5 for 5 in 2010 and hope to have some special eclipse moons in this years collage *crosses all fingers and toes*