Pigs In Paradise

teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
edited October 20, 2010 in Landscapes
These pigs have it pretty good! Beautiful surroundings. Hand feed by humans. Million dollar yachts pull up and hand feed them. They are eating better then some humans.
851034666_QQU2z-XL.jpg
“I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
— Lord Byron

Comments

• jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    I would be afraid to hand-feed a 300-foot pig! Where is this?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    jpc wrote: »
    I would be afraid to hand-feed a 300-foot pig! Where is this?

Cool photo.

JPC, looks like it is in the Bahamas.......one story HERE
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    Let me know where it is - I would not want to swim there.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    Great photo! thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    That is one cool and sharp pig. Great shot. thumb.gif
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    Thank you
    Thank you, this is an uninhabited island in the Bahamas. I am not sure of the name. We referred to it as “Pig Island” In April I was lucky enough to land a spot helping crew a boat back from USVI to Florida. Saw some really cool things, spent the night on a sand bar in the middle of the Caribbean call Hogsty Reef, photographed as much as I could. Captured with a D700 10.5 f2.8 barrowed that lens from a good friend it was fun. See more here if you like.
    http://www.teamracephotos.com/Travel/Boat-Trip/Caribbean/11979468_RuCDq#849082619_WRy3t
    — Lord Byron
    edited June 12, 2010
    Thank you...
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Cool photo.

Thank for the cool link!
    — Lord Byron
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    Great gallery with some truly unique shots. clap.gifclap
    edited June 12, 2010
    Thank you
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Great gallery with some truly unique shots. clap.gifclap

It was once in a life thing... I need to revisit this gallery be more selective and clean up some spots ect...
    I tried to get a long exposure of the stars. My first attempt. I think I picked the wrong settings. I had planned for a 1:15min exposure at f22. After the exposure finished the camera got stuck in processing the file. 2 hours after my first exposure finished I turned the camera off. Next I tried a 30min exposure that worked better but did not yeild the results I had hoped for. Still it was a very cool thing to be able to spend the night on a strip of sand in the middle of a sea.
    — Lord Byron
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Cool photo.

Thanks for the link, Art. Isn't it amazing how an animal can have such a wonderful existence in one environment and be treated like a meat product living in its own feces, in another. All pigs should have the opportunity to swim.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    20100613-e1q9s1muyqymhsauggg6ksxeiq.jpg

Now this is very coolthumb.gif
    The Caribbean is one of my favorite places in the world and this brings back good memories.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    I like the pig. It seems a bit tilted left, but it's a great shot. Very Pink Floyd.

"And you're leading me down
    To the place by the sea.
    I hear your soft voice
    Calling to me.
    Making a date for
    Later by phone
    And if you're alone
    I'll come home. "

San Tropez ~ Pink Floyd
    Anybody can do it.
    edited June 14, 2010
    Thank you, Marc, this I one of my attempt at a long exposure. I don’t know if you can see the birds flying around. They kept diving at me. Freaked me out a couple of times, it was pitch dark new moon. The structure is a marker/ fresh water collector. I spent the night there, had not planned on it… just kind of happed.

Thanks Wfeller, yes it is leaning. But so do I. I just through these up here after the trip... have not been back to revisit the images. Theres a big spot in the upper left. The 10.5mm lens I barrowed from a friend so I was more worried about hurting the lens or having the pig charge at me.... I am closer then it looks. I only see out of one eye so I was not even looking throught the view finder.... just threw it out there hoping the pig didnt try to eat the lens. M
    — Lord Byron
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Terrific capture. clap.gif

I was wondering what to make for dinner and I've decided on pork chops. :eat
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited June 14, 2010
    Thanks Harry
    Funny I was told every once in a while a pig goes missing. Someone brings them fresh water( there is big plastic tubs on shore. I bet that is some pretty tasty pork and you don't need to add salt! Things been good with you?
    Harryb wrote: »
    Terrific capture. clap.gif

I was wondering what to make for dinner and I've decided on pork chops. :eat
    — Lord Byron
    edited October 19, 2010
    Marc thank you for the complement. Sorry I must have missed your post. I knew what I wanted to capture with this one... those birds where dive bombing me.
    That was my first trip to the caribbean hope it's not my last. I would love to go back to Hogsty and spend another night. I did not know I would even be giving such a wonderful opportunity, and did not have spare batteries for my head lamp. So in the complete blackness I some how switched the brand new D700 I was using into RBG which records Tiff files. My first exposure I picked f22 for one hour and 15 minutes. I only had a four gig card in the camera. I am not sure but I think this filled the card or something, because the camera was stuck in "Processing Image" mode for two hours after the exposure ended. I shut the camera down it came back up but the was no images. I put a different card I and shortened my exposures. I am so lucky to have been witness a sunset and sunrise from a place like this. I wonder if anyone has ever been truly stranded there?
    — Lord Byron
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    And an accurate title, that was. Cool capture!
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    :) thats a VERY lucky pigneat pic the water is sooo pretty