please help me decide

jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
edited June 11, 2010 in Cameras
Please help me decide.

The Canon Loyalty Program is offering me to upgrade my G3 and/or S410. I have 3 options available to me:
upgrade to G11 for $250 plus shipping & tax
upgrade to SX10is for $200 plus shipping & tax
upgrade to Rebel XS for $360 plus shipping & tax.

Since I have 4 dSLR bodies, I am not considering the upgrade to Rebel XS.

However, which of the 2 p&s would your suggest I upgrade to?
And which p&s should I trade-in with?

Or should I just run out and buy a new Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 (my dad loves his)?
Thanks.
Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
FacebookFlickrSmugMug
SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
(use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 11, 2010
    Are you currently using your G3 and/or S410? If not, why not?

What features do you desire that are not covered by your current cameras? Are these features included in either upgrade camera?

Is the Lumix DMC-ZS7 more desirable to you regardless of cost? Inclusive of cost?

The more you elaborate your position and needs, the better we can help you wish your decision. Maybe there is another camera that could meet your needs better than any mentioned.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    I still use the G3 and my kids use the S410. However, I haven't been using them as much because it only does ISO400 and poorly at that. Both of them are pretty much used for on the go captures of my kids doing things. Nothing exciting really.
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 11, 2010
    I'm not sure that any of the mentioned cameras are that much better than what you have. For a more "photographer's camera" (meaning a camera that has enough low light/high-ISO sensitivity to be really useful, and that has manual operation) I suggest either the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3, which has one of the best feature sets available in an extremely portable P&S configuration, or a Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR, with an excellent feature set and competent zoom without the high price tag (but the Fuji also lacks RAW capability).

I suspect that the Lumix DMC-LX3 would make you happiest of all mentioned choices as long as the zoom range is suitable for your tasks. (The DMC-ZS7 has a much longer range zoom but I think the LX3 is much more capable otherwise.)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/lx3.shtml
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    It's a shame the S90 wasn't offered. I have an LX3, and while I do enjoy it, the S90 has a more useful zoom range and is closer to being truly pocketable.