Oasis In The Desert

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited June 13, 2010 in Landscapes

Comments

• bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    Ha! You found it. wings.gif Nice little oasis isn't it?

Great capture. I love that view. Looks like you got there a little earlier that I did. Was this taken right after it opened around 7:00 AM?
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    Ha! You found it. wings.gif Nice little oasis isn't it?

Great capture. I love that view. Looks like you got there a little earlier that I did. Was this taken right after it opened around 7:00 AM?

Yes. I wished it opened earlier. By 7:15 the light is pretty harsh, but what a great little spot. Dan Wilson and I went, and it was so peaceful and beautiful in that shaded area under the palms. Thanks for turning me on to this.thumb.gif
    edited June 11, 2010
    Your welcome. I do enjoy it there. Very peaceful and usually not too many people.

Hmm, I wonder if I can sneak in early without ending up in hand cuffs?headscratch.gif
    edited June 11, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    Your welcome. I do enjoy it there. Very peaceful and usually not too many people.

Hmm, I wonder if I can sneak in early without ending up in hand cuffs?headscratch.gif

I looked for a way in, and it is all fenced in with barb wire.
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    I looked for a way in, and it is all fenced in with barb wire.

Beautiful spot, beautiful shot. What are they protecting it from with barbed wire?
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited June 11, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Beautiful spot, beautiful shot. What are they protecting it from with barbed wire?

Sneaky photogs like us. :D

It's just a local park so they close it from Sunset to 7:00 AM to keep the youngens out at night.
    edited June 11, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote: »

Great question. I suppose they don't want kids hanging out and drinking beer at night.
    edited June 11, 2010
    Dan, one thing I noticed when I shot the similar view with both my 10-22 wide angle and and 17-55 was what a huge difference it made to the perspective of the mountains. The wide angle really pushed them back significantly reducing their size.

For me I preferred how the mountains stood up with more presence when I used my 17-55. I'm just learning about all this so I'm sure everyone with experience will say "of course".

I'll have to play some more to see where I like using the wide angle and where the additional width isn't worth the center push.headscratch.gif
  • ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    Great park! Shot some engagement photos there under the mesquite canopy on the north side as well as around the park. Is the island opened back up?
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
    edited June 11, 2010
    ilbcnu wrote: »
    Great park! Shot some engagement photos there under the mesquite canopy on the north side as well as around the park. Is the island opened back up?

Sadly no. In the past they had the walkway bridge out to the island but it deteriorated and they didn't have the funds to rebuild it. The walkway is now fenced off with rod iron and looks like they have no intention of rebuilding it in the near term.
    edited June 12, 2010
    Re-processed
    I looked at this photo today, and was very unhappy with it. Here is a re-processed version which I much prefer, although I might look at it tomorrow and hate itrolleyes1.gif

898527449_AKGNx-XL-1.jpg
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    I like the reprocessed version much better. The lighting and color make it look like a sunset shot.

I'm curious to know where this park is. Can you give us a link on Google or Bing maps?
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"