Options

Post Katrina - abandoned Medical Center

becomethechangebecomethechange Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited June 12, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Lindy Boggs Medical Center, also called Lindy Boggs Hospital or Lindy Boggs, is a now-abandoned 187-bed acute care hospital operated by Tenet Healthcare located in Mid-City New Orleans, Louisiana. The hospital provided many services, including emergency care, critical care, and organ transplantation services.

When Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, the hospital was at full census. Many employees' and patients' families decided to take shelter at the facility as well, thinking that they would be safer and more comfortable. When the levee system failed, however, many persons found themselves trapped in the facility with no way out. Many patients, especially those recovering from risky organ transplantation procedures, were not able to be given the medicines they needed most and, since both the power and the generators had failed, were without vital services such as mechanical ventilation and cardiac monitoring. A major evacuation effort took place, and mostly everyone was able to be rescued.

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindy_Boggs_Medical_Center)

Photos here: http://bit.ly/9gQfOl

Samples:

894818672_pH5FN-L.jpg

894819955_Jv2g9-L.jpg

894820305_gV7Py-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    Another amazing set. It looks like the water level was nearly 4-5' in some shots.....good lord those poor people.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2010
    Nikonic1 wrote: »
    Another amazing set. It looks like the water level was nearly 4-5' in some shots.....good lord those poor people.

Thank you! The water level reached the 3rd floor of the facility. So crazy. The city is an average of 8 feet below sea level, the water had no where to go once it was here.
  • Options
    Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    great shots, great series
    Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
    Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    Nice series, and a fascinating subject.

I guess we've been lucky here in Maryland; we're not in Hurricane Alley, so we've only been hit by truly bad hurricanes a few times. We tend to get nothing worse than some storm surge flooding which, though costly, seldom costs any lives.
    Thank you! The water level reached the 3rd floor of the facility. So crazy. The city is an average of 8 feet below sea level, the water had no where to go once it was here.

"It was a foolish man who built his house upon the sand." - Tommy Lee Jones, Volcano.

NOLA recovered from Hurricane Betsy in 1965, so I'm sure it will eventually recover from Katrina. Hopefully, it will be rebuilt better this time, but since it wasn't rebuilt any better after Betsy, that's doubtful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Betsy

"Everything moves in cycles, so twice a century the ocean let's us know just how small we really are." - Patrick Swayze, Point Break
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    "It was a foolish man who built his house upon the sand." - Tommy Lee Jones, Volcano.

NOLA recovered from Hurricane Betsy in 1965, so I'm sure it will eventually recover from Katrina. Hopefully, it will be rebuilt better this time, but since it wasn't rebuilt any better after Betsy, that's doubtful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Betsy

"Everything moves in cycles, so twice a century the ocean let's us know just how small we really are." - Patrick Swayze, Point Break

NOLA is definitely recovering from Katrina, some things have come back stronger. This city will never die, it has some of the richest history in the Nation and the people who live here are diehard, and for a good reason. There is definitely a reason why it's called the most fascinating city in America. Now we are just waiting for hurricane season to start and have it rain oil on us. :cry
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    Nice set. PM me sometime and I'll join you on an expedition.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    Great series of photos.