Abandoned Junior High School devastated by Katrina

becomethechangebecomethechange Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited June 13, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
One of the thousands of chilling reminders of this city's tragedy. This was a conjoined Middle & Jr. High school. I saw two more schools within a couple of miles that were in the same condition. You forget how recent this was. Everything was very warped from the water, but still very fresh. Posters on the walls still had lesson plans, blackboards had homework assignments, etc. Very eerie. A sort of time capsule in a sense.

Photos: http://bit.ly/bw6ml5

Samples:

897712563_mjV2Z-L.jpg

897710874_LxVKF-L.jpg

897707457_BdVrV-L.jpg

Comments

• Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    In-freaking-credible. Great images. I don't want to start a political war on a photography board, but what in the hell are we doing shipping money all of the world for others' tragedies when we can't even take care of our own here in America? These pictures really, truly turn my stomach when I think of everything the images are tied to.

Thanks for sharing. They are quite moving.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    Wonderful photos to document a time and period that was so full of devastation. May I ask...is this school and the medical center you posted photos of still standing?
  • becomethechangebecomethechange Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Wonderful photos to document a time and period that was so full of devastation. May I ask...is this school and the medical center you posted photos of still standing?

These were taken no longer than 2 weeks ago.
    edited June 13, 2010
    These were taken no longer than 2 weeks ago.

I would of thought they would of been torn down by now. Up where I live we don't hear anything about how things are down there. It's good that your photographing what it still looks like down there so people like me can see.
  • becomethechangebecomethechange Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I would of thought they would of been torn down by now. Up where I live we don't hear anything about how things are down there. It's good that your photographing what it still looks like down there so people like me can see.

Yeah you would't believe how slow this town's bureaucracy works, there are still houses and structures all over the city that have the military signs on them, set for demolition. Pretty much pictures of huge bomb shells it looks like. A lot of things were refurbished/cleaned, demolished and rebuilt, or just left for dead. It's really a crazy situation to know you are living in america and parts of this city look like a 3rd world country because of that. Don't get me wrong though, this city has many, many gorgeous parts with awesome history. It's just not uncommon to see a house set for demolition and looking like it's been shell shocked nestled in between two houses with fresh paint and have family's living there.
    edited June 13, 2010
    Yeah you would't believe how slow this town's bureaucracy works, there are still houses and structures all over the city that have the military signs on them, set for demolition. Pretty much pictures of huge bomb shells it looks like. A lot of things were refurbished/cleaned, demolished and rebuilt, or just left for dead. It's really a crazy situation to know you are living in america and parts of this city look like a 3rd world country because of that. Don't get me wrong though, this city has many, many gorgeous parts with awesome history. It's just not uncommon to see a house set for demolition and looking like it's been shell shocked nestled in between two houses with fresh paint and have family's living there.

Thank you for sharing this information with me. It is sad that things are still in the shape it is today. I was in New Orleans many many years ago and it was a beautiful place.

Hopefully soon things will move quicker...at least one can always hope.