A couple of studio shots.

rpo83rpo83 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited June 12, 2010 in People
Hi everyone,

I lurk here more than post, to be honest i am usually overwhelmed by the quality of the images to submit mine.

I attended a lighting workshop last week, and i am loving my results so i have worked up the courage to post and get some honest feedback.

The studio owner loaned me his 1DS ans 85/1.2 :barb

Excuse the banding, i compressed the file too meet the attachment kb size.
Cheers

Steve

Comments

• rpo83rpo83 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    here is another image, i could only upload 1 in my original post!
    Cheers

Steve
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    Very well done
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    I'm happy you got the courage to post the images and even more excited to know you're attending workshops and willing to learn the inner workings behind capturing a good image.

The first image is lit very well and I love the mood and the expression fits. You may not have known you captured this at the right moment and it shows. Now, apart from that there are a few issues that need attention. One is the abundance of sensor dust alllllll over the image. Those little grey dots have to go!

The second image I'm not a fan of at all. It's a great attempt at a moody lighting setup but it fails horribly with that large shadow formed across her nose and under the left eye. Just a bad lighting setup that ended with a distracting and hurtful shadow.

Keep shooting and keep learning. Thank you for sharing!
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
    edited June 12, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Very well done

Thanks Art
    codiac2600 wrote: »
    I'm happy you got the courage to post the images and even more excited to know you're attending workshops and willing to learn the inner workings behind capturing a good image.

The first image is lit very well and I love the mood and the expression fits. You may not have known you captured this at the right moment and it shows. Now, apart from that there are a few issues that need attention. One is the abundance of sensor dust alllllll over the image. Those little grey dots have to go!

The second image I'm not a fan of at all. It's a great attempt at a moody lighting setup but it fails horribly with that large shadow formed across her nose and under the left eye. Just a bad lighting setup that ended with a distracting and hurtful shadow.

Keep shooting and keep learning. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks Chris, your comment regarding "you may not have known..." is confusing, can you please elaborate?

The camera wasn't mine, it was a loaner, i did notice how dirty it was!

I expected comments about the nose shadow, but for some reason i still find the image powerful.

I suppose that is why i attended the workshop, i find it an interesting discussion about what constitutes a good image. One of the points the tog who ran the course was making, was "don't be afraid of shadows" he was forcing us to think outside the square. I think this was outside his parameters though...

This is one of my favorite images from the workshop.

4681123017_8809ca02b0_b.jpg

I also love how this image reponded to B&W.

4678550262_efdc31d1ba_b.jpg
    Cheers

Steve
    edited June 12, 2010
    rpo83 wrote: »
    Thanks Art

Thanks Chris, your comment regarding "you may not have known..." is confusing, can you please elaborate?

The camera wasn't mine, it was a loaner, i did notice how dirty it was!

I expected comments about the nose shadow, but for some reason i still find the image powerful.

I suppose that is why i attended the workshop, i find it an interesting discussion about what constitutes a good image. One of the points the tog who ran the course was making, was "don't be afraid of shadows" he was forcing us to think outside the square. I think this was outside his parameters though...

This is one of my favorite images from the workshop.

I also love how this image reponded to B&W.

Hmmm... I'm not sure how to explain it better except there are about 15-20 tiny grey dots all over the image mostly in the background. They are dots created by dust on the cameras sensor and when you shoot with a smaller aperture they tend to appear. Look at the bottom left corner and you'll see the most vivid ones and then as you scan through the image you'll see them everywhere. They just need to be edited out asap.

It's good and bad to think that way about shadows, but you have to remember that the focal point of this image is her face and her expression. Your audience is going to look at that the longest and the longer I look the worse that shadow becomes. Actually after looking at it longer the more the expression feels less flattering to the model...

My background is in model photography and I judge PPA and smaller photo contests as a guest judge and these are the things that we have to look at and I see them more than others because I'm trained to do so. I actually feel your two new images are better than the previous two you showed us. First is the better expression and at this angle and head turn the lighting shines. The B&W is gorgeous and the only issue is a couple of small flecks of white stuff in her hair.
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 12, 2010
    Very Good shots!
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
    edited June 12, 2010
    Thanks Tom and Chris,
    codiac2600 wrote: »
    The first image is lit very well and I love the mood and the expression fits. You may not have known you captured this at the right moment and it shows.

This was the phrase i was referring to Chris, i understand about the dust.

Thanks for your feedback once again.
    Cheers

Steve
    edited June 12, 2010
    rpo83 wrote: »
    Thanks Tom and Chris,

This was the phrase i was referring to Chris, i understand about the dust.

Thanks for your feedback once again.

Ahhh! Basically when someone poses in front of the camera and gives you their look there is a small sweet spot where it looks its best. You pulled that trigger at the perfect moment and the expression was captured at it's peak :)
    edited June 12, 2010
    Thanks for the clarification,

The way it was written, i thought it was a criticism, not a positive.
    Cheers

Steve
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    The last 2 are really good...I like the processing........I for one cannot
    See the "dust spots" on any of these shots.....I have looked at them on monitors upto 30 inches.....
    however just for future refernce...should you start seeing the dust bunnies....they normally will appear in shots using very small
    apertures.....11 and smaller on solid light backgrounds (like a shot of totally bare blue sky at F22 ...then you can really see the
    dust bunnies, if they are there).....so as long as you can keep your aperture under 11 (2.8, 5.6, 8 ) it should be fine....
    now if it starts showing up at F11 or f8 then you better clean the sensor filter......The best method I have found is the Copper Hill Method......
    If you cannot figure out which kit to buy just email them and they will direct you to the correct kit.......there is instructions and tutes on their website......
    I use the Copper Hill Method and only clean my sensor filter about once a year and I shoot in very dusty enviros a lot.......Ks is windy and dusty 12
    months out of the year....I used to clean once a month...but found that was a real big waste of time, chemicals and tissue........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website