dont tell my wife

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited August 27, 2005 in People
i took her picture, i told her i was testing the camera with no film ( hehehe)... oh, and definetly dont tell her about the lens... shhhh!
so, if she doesnt know im really taking her pic, then i guess this is a candid... :wink

i still am trying to work on skin color, i hear smugmug has a good article somewhere about skin color.... :dunno

troy

32839793-L.jpg

Comments

• XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    i still am trying to work on skin color, i hear smugmug has a good article somewhere about skin color.... ne_nau.gif
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone

there you go, will make this nice pic better.

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    well ive tried it for a couple of hours now and i keep getting results that are not pleasing to my eyes at all..... very drab and "yellowish" . this is not an easy task rolleyes1.gif

troy
    XO-Studios wrote:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone

there you go, will make this nice pic better.

XO,
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    well ive tried it for a couple of hours now and i keep getting results that are not pleasing to my eyes at all..... very drab and "yellowish" . this is not an easy task rolleyes1.gif

troy
    Trust me my biggest pitfall. Working on a pic for some time till it please my eye. Then I check the values and I am still off.

XO,

ps email me the file and I'll work on it
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2005
    I played with the small file a little, I hope you don't mind. Here is the result.

Sam
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2005
    Well, if we're playing.:D

Softened in Noise Ninja, and slight curve adjustment to lighten.
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    You weren't lying about the "no film...", you just didn't mention anything about the memory card rolleyes1.gifwink
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • geraldfinnegangeraldfinnegan Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    re: photo
    It's very weird but I thought it was a photo fo Cass Eliot from many a year past. Here's my version:

33058467-M-8.jpg
    www.finnegan.smugmug.com
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    windozecompare-vi.jpg
    Edit vs. Original

I love the bokeh. :D
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    I'm telling.....I think the Khos version is the best. It smooths out the features while leaving enough to make the photograph look real.
    edited August 22, 2005
    ok, enough with the edits.... lol,

to tell you the truth, my original looks exactly like my wife. it is almost a perfect match. i am also very much in love with my wife and i lover her pic! For me my wife is the only person i could have married. i am what i am today because of her... so with that said let me say this..... there is no edit of my wife that would please me more that the one of how she really looks to me and its the one i took..
    when i commented on the skin tone / color its was meant for printing purposes......

troy

Sandy wrote:
    I'm telling.....I think the Khos version is the best. It smooths out the features while leaving enough to make the photograph look real.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    when i commented on the skin tone / color its was meant for printing purposes......

troy
    Oh! :P

I just adjusted the color cast and removed two blemishes. :)
  • melissa6631melissa6631 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    ok, enough with the edits.... lol,

to tell you the truth, my original looks exactly like my wife. it is almost a perfect match. i am also very much in love with my wife and i lover her pic! For me my wife is the only person i could have married. i am what i am today because of her... so with that said let me say this..... there is no edit of my wife that would please me more that the one of how she really looks to me and its the one i took..

troy
    But....

what about me???? clap.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Missy Ü
    edited August 23, 2005
    Where do we find guys like you? I think your wife is beautiful too, just as she is.
    But photographs tend to accentuate shadows and other features that if gone enhance the photo. Most of the women I know, love to see a photo of themselves where the the shadows and lines have been softened. There is a fine line between too much correction and just a little to make the photo more pleasing.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Sandy wrote:
    Where do we find guys like you?

we're here, sandy! lol3.gif
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited August 23, 2005
    2 things Troy.

First, you aren't alone in finding skintone matching to be a PITA eek7.gif That's one of the major reasons I hate doing people shots rolleyes1.gif Especially indoors :uhoh Good luck and there's also some decent info in the DPR Retouching Forum.

Second, the words you said about your wife were beautiful and even though I have always thought you were a very decent guy. My opinion of you has gone up yet another notch thumb.gifclap.gif

She's beautiful and she's lucky to have a man like you :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited August 23, 2005
    and since they announced the 5D, let me tell you that my wife is the most beautiful woman in the universe! mwink.gif

thanx Steve,

troy
    2 things Troy.

First, you aren't alone in finding skintone matching to be a PITA eek7.gif That's one of the major reasons I hate doing people shots rolleyes1.gif Especially indoors :uhoh Good luck and there's also some decent info in the DPR Retouching Forum.

Second, the words you said about your wife were beautiful
    and even though I have always thought you were a very decent guy. My opinion of you has gone up yet another notch thumb.gifclap.gif

She's beautiful and she's lucky to have a man like you :D

Steve
  • PlasmodiumPlasmodium Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Hi Troy,

I hope you don't mind that I took a shot at your wife's picture. I think her skin tone in the original is dead on, and I wouldn't touch it. I took some tips from Deke Mclelland's Photoshop CS book and made some simple edits. The aim was to correct minor irregularities in skin tone rather than make a global change -- after all, we all have areas with more or less pigment, but in real life these things move in and out of shadow, and are masked by our movement and facial expressions.

So first I took the healing brush, set to a wide feather, and lightened some of the redder spots. I then took the lasso, set it to a 10 pixel feather, and selected the darker red areas of both cheeks (especially the right cheek), the browline, and the chin, and made a new layer via copy. I then opened hue/saturation and slightly desaturated these redder areas (by -10 overall, and then I did a little bit more desaturation to the right cheek). Finally, after flattening the image, I made a curves adjustment layer -- I increased the midtone brightness a bit, and made a very slight dip in the shadows. This effectively brightened the picture and by virtue of increasing the contrast removed the subtle grayish cast to the picture. That's it! Hope you like it.

32839793-Lb.jpg
    Paul

My Gallery

"Hammer my bones in the anvil of daylight..." -Beck
    edited August 24, 2005
    my wife would REALLY KILL me if she knew all this fussing was going on over her pic! rolleyes1.gif
    Your ewdit Plas looks wonderful. Very suble but nice changes.... well done! You are obvioulsy a master at what you do! Again a deep appreciation for your attempts!!!!!

hatts off to you,

troy
    edited August 25, 2005
    'SHE LIKES IT' !!! clap.gifclap.gif

TROY

Plasmodium wrote:
    Hi Troy,

I hope you don't mind that I took a shot at your wife's picture. I think her skin tone in the original is dead on, and I wouldn't touch it. I took some tips from Deke Mclelland's Photoshop CS book and made some simple edits. The aim was to correct minor irregularities in skin tone rather than make a global change -- after all, we all have areas with more or less pigment, but in real life these things move in and out of shadow, and are masked by our movement and facial expressions.

So first I took the healing brush, set to a wide feather, and lightened some of the redder spots. I then took the lasso, set it to a 10 pixel feather, and selected the darker red areas of both cheeks (especially the right cheek), the browline, and the chin, and made a new layer via copy. I then opened hue/saturation and slightly desaturated these redder areas (by -10 overall, and then I did a little bit more desaturation to the right cheek). Finally, after flattening the image, I made a curves adjustment layer -- I increased the midtone brightness a bit, and made a very slight dip in the shadows. This effectively brightened the picture and by virtue of increasing the contrast removed the subtle grayish cast to the picture. That's it! Hope you like it.

32839793-Lb.jpg
    edited August 25, 2005
    Andy, I am so blown away by the wonderful birthday you planned and shared with your wife. From looking at the photo it appears that you are truely soulmates. Congratulation on your love and devotion to each other. She is beautiful and lucky to have you.clap.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Sandy wrote:
    Andy, I am so blown away by the wonderful birthday you planned and shared with your wife. From looking at the photo it appears that you are truely soulmates. Congratulation on your love and devotion to each other. She is beautiful and lucky to have you.clap.gif

we are, sandy, we are :D thanks so much.
  • G KG K Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Troy
    actually, i rather like your original :)

~gaurav
    edited August 27, 2005
    thank you, i was very happy with it also,
    good or bad, it does look like her!

troy
    G K wrote:
    actually, i rather like your original :)

~gaurav