Lens worth repairing?

GrissomGrissom Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited June 12, 2010 in Cameras
I accidently dropped my camera bag that had a pentax film camera with a Tamron AF28-200mm SuperII Macro lens. Upon first inspection it looked like I got lucky however when I turned it on it would not auto focus nor will the manual focus ring turn. The manual zoom ring works fine. Upon closer inspection of the mounted lens I can see that there is a slight "tweak" Swapped lenses and the camera worked fine. Any idea if this is worth repairing??

Thanks

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 12, 2010
    It appears that the Tamron AF 28-200mm Super II Macro in Pentax mount dates to possibly 2003 and has been replaced by the current Tamron AF 28-200mm, f3.8-f5.6 XR Di Aspherical (IF) Macro, which you can get for around $220USD after rebate.

http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/TM28200DPXAF.html

Since there is no way to know the exact damage to the lens without disassembly (extensive internal damage is always possible), you will have to send the lens in to know the extent of the damage and cost of repairs.

Be sure to check to see if you might be covered under some insurance, like your household insurance or automotive insurance.

If it were me I would be very tempted to either replace it for the newer version while the rebate program is available, or use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a better lens or lenses. I would also take the opportunity to increase the padding in the camera bag to try to avoid a similar occurrence.

I also see that KEH has an older version (but I believe newer than your version) Tamron 28-200 F3.8-5.6 TAMRON ASPHERICAL XR in Pentax AF mount and "EX" condition for $99.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums