Help Replacing Background Content

LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
edited June 13, 2010 in Finishing School
I'm entering this image a print competition and it's going to be 16x20...I'm trying to remove the white space between the lizard and the leaf, based on the recommendation of a few friends.

I've tried a fill layer and adding noise, I've tried taking the edge of the leaf and extending it down...For some reason though, I just can't get this to look natural! Any ideas on the best way to take that out?? Guess the new content-aware fill in CS5 would come in handy here.

Making the selection using quick mask mode isn't a problem - Just trying to find a way to blend the tones and fill the space, while keeping it photo-realistic.

entry6lizard2.jpg

Comments

• LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    OK - Spent a little more time on this today and I think I got a solution...

mg4330editedfinalsmall.jpg

Hopefully it's not too obvious...Took some time and a few layers - And then a few more :-P

If anyone needs help doing something similar, let me know and I can try to help....Or if someone sees an obvious flaw and recommend a better way of doing it, feel free to share.

EDIT to add...I see a little spot in the upper left=hand side that could use a bit of cloning...

If anyone's interested - Essentially, this was done by a masked fill layer, with gaussian blur...Duplicated it a a few times - Touched up the mask and added a layer of noise - Then did a little patch tool work and cloning set to darken/lighten to blend any rough areas
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 13, 2010
    Sounds about right - looks pretty good!

You may have a just a bit too much green along in the shadowed area along the critters back though. Your mask may need editing just slightly.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Sounds about right - looks pretty good!

You may have a just a bit too much green along in the shadowed area along the critters back though. Your mask may need editing just slightly.
    Thanks! :D

Good point - I'll have to take care of that! I've found that fit-to-screen view at 33% vs viewing actual pixels when I resize to 900 pixels wide for preview purposes really shows a lot more flaws/details.