Options

Aussies visiting USA this Summer

Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
Hi everyone,

My family and I are heading to America in 3 weeks time. We're doing a rushed road trip looping around the west coast and the next states over.

The main NPs we are going to be staying at are:
Sequoia NP
Yosemite NP
Crater Lake
Mt Rainier
Mt Baker / Shuksan
Banff and Jasper NP
Glacier NP, Montana
Yellowstone NP
Grand Tetons
Arches / Canyonlands
Mesa Verde
Grand Canyon
Bryce Canyon
Zion NP

Then back to LA. You can see our approximate route here on google maps. We are heading north first.

Because we are covering over 4500 miles in the 6 weeks, we won't be able to see everything at each NP. I'd love some advice for the best spots to see in the areas mentioned above. Especially the Yellowstone and Grand Teton areas. I've read a lot about Yosemite already so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Karl Lindsay
Nikon D600
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Induro CT-014 Tripod
karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    I can add my .02cents, no offence but I would stay longer at select spots rather than drive drive drive a road trip like that...

But anyway, based off your route I would make a point to explore Monument Valley and then I would go directly to Page Arizona and explore Antelope Canyons (both Upper & Lower canyons), and of course see Horseshoe Bend while in Page. Also I would Add the North Rim of the Grand Canyon on your list and maybe scratch off the South Rim....

Even though I haven't been to all the locations on your list I can say Zion is my Favorite....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Drive less, see more +1
    I would second the idea that you might consider driving less and spending more time in each place. Your itinerary is a LOT of driving; you might enjoy less time in the car and more time in nature.

In any case, you have picked some beautiful spots. Your drive across Oregon will be spectacular, although you are missing the western half of the state (western Oregon/Willamette Valley = green forests, eastern Oregon = high desert). Make sure you stop at the volcanic monument outside of Bend, visit the lava cave (also outside of Bend), and do NOT miss the John Day fossil beds.
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    I second the advice from aquaticvideographer. I also recommend bikes for many of the park (i.e. Yosemite). Being from Australia, I suspect you enjoy the water ... so don't forget Channel Islands NP, off the SoCal coast. The islands off Southern California are home to Giant Sea Kelp, an extremely beautiful diving experience.

Gary

PS- I recognise how a pain it is to accomodate bikes when traveling from afar ... just something to think about.
    G
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Thanks for your input everyone.

We realise that we are covering a lot of ground. As international tourists rather than photographers, however, we would prefer to see as much of the country as we can, instead of seeing a lot of a smaller area.

Aaron, why do you say the North Rim? What do you like about the North that is better than the South?
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • Options
    PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    I agree with what Aaron said...spend some more time in Zion, there's so much to do! And it is majestic!!! Also, the North Rim of the GC is a lot less crowded with tourists and shuttles...and in my opinion, more amazing than the South Rim! I think because there are more view points (from different angles) than from the South Rim. Page and Antelope Canyons are beautiful!!!! You can take a boat out to see Rainbow Bridge on Lake Powell. And Horseshoe bend will scare the socks off of you if you are fearful of heights...but it is an awesome view!

Have fun...any which way you go, you've got some great locations planned!
    I can add my .02cents, no offence but I would stay longer at select spots rather than drive drive drive a road trip like that...

But anyway, based off your route I would make a point to explore Monument Valley and then I would go directly to Page Arizona and explore Antelope Canyons (both Upper & Lower canyons), and of course see Horseshoe Bend while in Page. Also I would Add the North Rim of the Grand Canyon on your list and maybe scratch off the South Rim....

Even though I haven't been to all the locations on your list I can say Zion is my Favorite....
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited July 4, 2010
    In Sequoia and Kings Canyon. Moro Rock. You can see seven different ranges from the top of the rock. It's a short but very steep hike. The Giant Sequoias are also a sight to behold. Although S & KC NP is very close to Yosemite, you cannot easily get from one to the other using the route you've chosen. May I suggest Going to S&KC NP first then going into Yosemite. In Yosemite, I would suggest doing at least the major features in the valley. Like seeing El Capitan, Bridal Veil Falls, maybe Vernal Falls (short very steep hike). Yosemite Falls is easily the most visited and one of the nicest falls. When you are ready to leave the park, I would recommend going across the Sierra using Hwy 120--if you do this, plan on stopping at the Mobil gas station at the intersection of Hwy 120 and Hwy 395--you will not regret eating at the "deli" there. It's called Whoa Nelli Deli only you don't go there for the Turkey sandwich :D

To visit these two parks, you will want to travel Hwy 99 instead of 395. However, the trade off is that 395 offers a variety of other stuff. Near the Bridgeport is a National Monument called Manzanar. This was an internment camp for Japanese citizens during WWII. You will also see a more rugged side of the Sierra and can visit Devil's Postpile National Monument. The advantage of 99 is that you can enter Sequoia and Yosemite from it and by heading out of Yosemite on 120, you can take Hwy 395 toward Oregon and Crater Lake. Rainer, Baker, Lassen, Shasta and Hood (i'm leaving something out--I know) are a chain of volcanoes that stretch along the Pacific Ocean and are a part of the so called Ring of Fire. Personally, I would go to Mt. St. Helens over Baker. At St. Helens, you can see the result of a fairly recent volcanic event--and see how the mountain is recovering.

For the Grand Canyon, I too am a proponent of the North Rim. It is far more remote and receives fewer visitors than the South Rim. The advantage of the North Rim in your case is that it reduces the driving distances when visiting Bryce, Zion and the other nearby parks.

In Zion, I would do everything to see Angles Landing and to walk The Narrows. In Bryce, Sunset Point. At Arches, Delicate Arch.

Anyhow, your plan is an ambitious one for a six week stretch covering a lot of road miles. Post up if you need/want some additional travel advice.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?