Going to Dark Side!!!!

2»

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Very nice feeling indeed:-)

Thanks!

I know I'm wasting my breath here, but while we're on the subject of unpacking gear, there really is nothing like unpacking an Apple product. The packaging, the design, the feel of it...ahhh.

And yeah, I know you put the box aside and then work with the gear inside, but still. Ain't nothing better.

Congrats on the new camera, Nik. Looking forward to shooting with you soon.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited August 23, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Those of you who's been to Yosemite Smugmug Shootout 2005 heard of my horror story about dead alternator in the 4th lane of hwy 101 in SF (Michiel and Sid, are you reading this?:-). Parts and labor were almost a grand $US.
    Well, it turned out to be "total rekall": Nissan declared in July that the alternator problem was a factory defect. It took me a while to cut the red tape, but today I finally got the checkclap.gif .

This, and some prior saving (thanks, S*E!) get me enough to get a brand new 20D (w/kit lens). Ordered a few minutes ago from buydig.com (second day delivery, can't wait:-). More lenses and accessories to follow once more cash is saved.

I'm gonna keep my maxmax-modified Sony 828 as an IR camera and as an additional help (I like its versatility:-)
    Anyway - dSLR, here I come!clap.gif
    Nik,
    Nice to hear you finally got all that stuff straightened out thumb.gif I see you will be using your money wisely......lol

You are going to have a ball. The 828 is nice, but the 20D is even more fun to use iloveyou.gif

And BTW, Nikon is the darkside. The force is with Canon rolleyes1.giflol3.gif

Good luck with your near gear :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Just say when
    DavidTO wrote:
    I know I'm wasting my breath here, but while we're on the subject of unpacking gear, there really is nothing like unpacking an Apple product. The packaging, the design, the feel of it...ahhh.

And yeah, I know you put the box aside and then work with the gear inside, but still. Ain't nothing better.

Congrats on the new camera, Nik. Looking forward to shooting with you soon.
    I like the idea of another shooting afternoon-sunset-night-beer...beer.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited August 23, 2005
    Thanks, Steve!
    Nik,
    Nice to hear you finally got all that stuff straightened out thumb.gif I see you will be using your money wisely......lol
    You are going to have a ball. The 828 is nice, but the 20D is even more fun to use iloveyou.gif

And BTW, Nikon is the darkside. The force is with Canon rolleyes1.giflol3.gif

Good luck with your near gear :D

Steve
    I'm positive I will. I already am, actually:-)

Speaking of force - wait till you see my new avatar:-) It's ready, I just need to get home to change it..

Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited August 25, 2005
    Spending started:-)
    Today, only two days after receiving my new 20D, I purchased my first lens.
    EOS 50mm f/1.8. Got it at a local store for 79.95+ tax. Could get it online for $69.95 taxfree, but shipping and wait would not make much sense - I needed a faster lens by Saturday for our fencing class.

Also got an eypiece extender PEX15 - got tired of pressing my nose into the LCD:-)

Some results - with the new lense - could be found here - including originals and exif.

Thanks for reading!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Today, only two days after receiving my new 20D, I purchased my first lens.
    EOS 50mm f/1.8. Got it at a local store for 79.95+ tax. Could get it online for $69.95 taxfree, but shipping and wait would not make much sense - I needed a faster lens by Saturday for our fencing class.

Also got an eypiece extender PEX15 - got tired of pressing my nose into the LCD:-)

Some results - with the new lense - could be found here - including originals and exif.

Thanks for reading!

Nice. Those cups are tack-sharp!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited August 25, 2005
    Thanks to you:-)
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nice. Those cups are tack-sharp!
    I did as I was told: used the decent lens, cranked the ISO, set AF to center point, and then created an action in PS to do the sharpening (go LAB, smart sharpening 1.0 pixel, 150%, go back to RGB).

I'm glad that you find your teaching to be fruitful, Mastah:-) bowdown.gif
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    (Michiel and Sid, are you reading this?:-)
    Oh I remember :D

30415507-M.jpg

30416953-M.jpg

30417297-M.jpg
    BUT we did enjoy that excellent jacuzzi with that weird guy :D
    So, we're going to kick some major @rse on the 2006 trip?? :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
    edited August 25, 2005
    Naaaa-ice!