Reading a book (about proper exposure) now I have questions

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited August 1, 2010 in Technique
A little while back I was having some issues with exposure so after some research and recommendations I picket up the book called "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

I'm still a bit unsure about how I feel about the book. In the beginning of the book he talks about the 3 items needed to achieve a correct or creative exposure, shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

As I was reading about each topic I noticed that during his explanations and descriptions of each image all he really described was shutter speed and aperture used and leaving out ISO. At the beginning of the book he talks about ISO and what it is but after that he doesn't mention what ISO he used to compose his shots.
I thought the lack of this information in each instance was a real void in understanding how things tied into each other. Especially for a newbie.

Anyway, one of the questions I have is in the book he makes reference (more than once) of getting his exposure by metering the sky, then recomposing. Is that a normal technique or am I missing something. He never explains in the book.

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• patataheadpatatahead Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    hi,

i've never read his book understanding exposure but based on what I know
    ISO, Shutter speed and Aperture are related to get the proper exposure, what is your guide? that's the in built meter in your camera. Basically, one bumps the ISO higher when he/she wants to get faster shutter at a given aperture at the cost of grainy shots.

The best way to learn it, is to try it out.

HTH
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    i have a copy of it
    its not a normal technique but A technique
    you can meter at anything you like ;
    the subject , background or .... the sky
    different results , check yerself
    thats it

ISO is simple ;
    lower value = less grain / noise
    raise only when necessary [ if shutter speed / aperture is not enough ] [ darkness ]
  • rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Yeah I need to venture into metering a bit more. Do and learn.

R.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 14, 2010
    The idea behind metering off the sky, I suspect, is that it is fairly constant brightness. I believe a gray card is a better choice, since it will vary less than a sky, since they did not specify east,west, north, south, or inclination. With a grey card, no matter how the light changes, if the grey card is lit by the same light as the subject, your exposure should be dead on. I know this to be true from long experience.

Another substitute for a grey card is the palm of your hand (since most of us always have one of these with us ) but it usually reads about 1stop brighter than a grey card, so you need to open your aperture 1stop more than metered off your hand. Ziggy has suggested this technique at times.

As to ISO, when folks shot film, to change ISO, they had to yank the film out of the camera, and insert a new roll with a different ISO, not a very convenient way to set an exposure; today, DSLRs make swapping ISO, rather than shutter speed or aperture, a potential way of adjusting exposure. But I really don't swap ISO when shooting, I vary aperture or shutter speed, and only change ISO if really necessary.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    The idea behind metering off the sky, I suspect, is that it is fairly constant brightness. I believe a gray card is a better choice, since it will vary less than a sky, since they did not specify east,west, north, south, or inclination. With a grey card, no matter how the light changes, if the grey card is lit by the same light as the subject, your exposure should be dead on. I know this to be true from long experience.

Another substitute for a grey card is the palm of your hand (since most of us always have one of these with us ) but it usually reads about 1stop brighter than a grey card, so you need to open your aperture 1stop more than metered off your hand. Ziggy has suggested this technique at times.

not if you want the sky as subject , and surroundings are unimportant

btw
    its just a technique to create different results
    no technique is binding , or normal ,.....

and
    gray is average .... => not+ , not- .

if you read the mentioned book and see the pictures ,
    you see lit sky's with dark / black foreground
    [ so , thats why the author measures sky , not foreground or average [grey ]
    ( i guess )
    edited June 14, 2010
    If the subject is transilluminated - TV screen, color slide, sky - just meter the subject directly -agreed!

• pward76pward76 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Is that where he talks about using flash for daylight shots?

You can meter for the sky, then recompose and hit your subject with a bit of flash, and viola - a shot that doesn't look like it was shot in a cave...

or am I thinking of a Joe McNally book? :photo

Now I have to find my copy and look it up....
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    rickp wrote: »
    snip…
    Anyway, one of the questions I have is in the book he makes reference (more than once) of getting his exposure by metering the sky, then recomposing. Is that a normal technique or am I missing something. He never explains in the book.

Thanks
    R.

You might check out "Incident Light Metering"…

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • BigCameraBigCamera Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 15, 2010
    ISO etc exposure
    A little while back I was having some issues with exposure so after some research and recommendations I picket up the book called "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

I'm still a bit unsure about how I feel about the book. In the beginning of the book he talks about the 3 items needed to achieve a correct or creative exposure, shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

As I was reading about each topic I noticed that during his explanations and descriptions of each image all he really described was shutter speed and aperture used and leaving out ISO. At the beginning of the book he talks about ISO and what it is but after that he doesn't mention what ISO he used to compose his shots.
    I thought the lack of this information in each instance was a real void in understanding how things tied into each other. Especially for a newbie.

Thanks
    R.
    After using what ever method of metering, A rule odf thumb you should use is: shutter speed should be 1/iso and aperture is f16 for a bright sunny day. Adjust aperture for hazy-maybe one stop-or F16. etc.
    Your exposure should be in the neighborhood of these settings.
    ISO is like setting a battery checker for a voltage range. If you set the checker to check AA batteries(1.5 volts) but put a 6 volt battery on it, it will peg as full, even if the 6 volt battery is run down. Conversely if you set the meter to check say a 9 volt battery, but check a AA(1.5 volt) it will look low, even if new.
    Once you choose an ISO setting, it is in the background of your subsequent selection of aperture and shutter speed.
    The best ISO for quality is always you cameras native, or lowest numeric ISO-Canon is 100 I believe, Nikon is 200. Even a long exposure may be better at say 200 on a Nikon than 6400 ISO, in terms of color and contrast. Now using a long exposure time means no movement from the subject so keep that in mind when deciding what ISO to choose.
    Hope this helps.
    R
  • rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    thank guys.
    I think he's commenting on my comment about reading.

R.
  • stover98074stover98074 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    I have owned several of his books and refer to them from time to time. I started buying them pre digital and having a technique for metering the sky helped me improve my images in the film days. Now that I have digital I find I can get the exposure from a few trial and error shots - or chimping. I think he has good advice on aperture selection, such as the "who cares" f/11. I also enjoy the information he has on longer exposures (such as his July 14, 2009 blog posting of a fork lift truck http://bryanfpeterson.blogspot.com/)
    Macro with old Asahi Pentax Bellows and Enlarging Lenses

http://sites.google.com/site/inexpensivemacrophotography/home

Flickr

Smugmug
  • GrundyladyGrundylady Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2010
    Thanks
    R.

Forgive me if this is a duplicate - I can't see my earlier post.

The reason he mentions metering off the sky is because a blue sky (or green grass, or wet tree trunk) are all 18% gray. So you can get an accurate exposure that way, even if your subject is a white boat or a black dog where your camera's built in meter would be fooled.

You can also always get an accurate overall reading of a front lit subject by using the sunny f16 rule. If you meter at the blue sky using that rule you will see that the sky is a neutral for your meter - 18% gray .
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited August 1, 2010
    Grundylady wrote: »
    Forgive me if this is a duplicate - I can't see my earlier post.

The reason he mentions metering off the sky is because a blue sky (or green grass, or wet tree trunk) are all 18% gray. So you can get an accurate exposure that way, even if your subject is a white boat or a black dog where your camera's built in meter would be fooled.

You can also always get an accurate overall reading of a front lit subject by using the sunny f16 rule. If you meter at the blue sky using that rule you will see that the sky is a neutral for your meter - 18% gray .

Well, sort of. What you are really doing when metering is setting the camera so that your metering sample is treated as 18% gray. Whether that works or doesn't depends on the luminosity of your subject matter. If the sky is a bright overcast, for example, and your subject is a black dog, you will lose all detail by metering from the sky unless you apply exposure compensation. Modern cameras have more sophisticated metering modes (spot, partial, center-weighted average) that give you better control than sunny 16 or meter off the sky, but you need to understand how they work and decide for yourself what's important in the image.
  • GrundyladyGrundylady Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Well, sort of. What you are really doing when metering is setting the camera so that your metering sample is treated as 18% gray. Whether that works or doesn't depends on the luminosity of your subject matter. If the sky is a bright overcast, for example, and your subject is a black dog, you will lose all detail by metering from the sky unless you apply exposure compensation. Modern cameras have more sophisticated metering modes (spot, partial, center-weighted average) that give you better control than sunny 16 or meter off the sky, but you need to understand how they work and decide for yourself what's important in the image.

Yes.
    edited August 1, 2010
    Apertures come in ratios of 1/2 f2.8 is 1/2 the light admitting power of f2.0 and twice the light admitting power of f4. Whole aperture numbers run 1.4, 2.0, 2.8, 4.0, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22

Shutter speeds run by the same ratios 1/25th, 1/50th, 1/100, 1/200th, 1/400th, 1/800th etc

Full ISO steps are ISO 100,200, 400, 500, 1600

Thus apertures, shutter speeds, and ISO can all be altered and yet let the total amount of light admitted to the sensor remain equivalent by the appropriate choices of values of each.

Metering is complex because most shooters only use the Reflected light meter in their cameras, which is only able to measure the amount of light entering the lens, but does not know if the subject being measured is a white snow field in bright sunlight, or a black cat in a coal mine. That is why you must interpret the values your camera gives you. A 16% grey card helps because you KNOW it should read in the middle of your histogram, not white and not black, but mid grey.

One way to avoid the difficulties of a reflected light meter is to use what Hollywood uses to shoot movies - an Incident light meter, like the Sekonic L-358 - it reads the actual light falling on the subject, and whether white or black subject, both should be exposed more correctly than with an uninterpreted reflected light meter.