Trying again with the Black and Whites

MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
edited August 24, 2005 in People
I had posted some pics last week but for some reason I couldn't get them linked very well via Photobucket. At least I couldn't see them. Plus, when I tried to edit them I couldn't. Anyway, here they are again with a few extras.
I'm still working on my portrait taking abilities usually using the Manual mode and playing with all the settings. Here are some that I liked the best. As usual, my kids are my guinea pigs.

Looking_down_Ian.jpg

Fashion_look_cropped.jpg

Really_big_smiles.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

Confident_cropped.jpg

Adj_Ian_in_truck_cropped.jpg

Comments

• MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    For some reason, yet again, I can't edit the photos. I would like to repost a resized version of the last two pics but when I click "edit" it simply shows the photo in the editing box. I have no way to access the url in the editing window. Very wierd. Sorry for the oversized pics. I tried to edit. umph.gif
  • SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2005
    Great shots Maestro, especially the 2nd one & a great expression in the 3rd.
    Not sure what your problem is with editing as I use PBucket & don't have any probs.
  • NicoleNicole Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2005
    I love the 3rd shot. I like to angle of the shot as well as the expression on her face and the wind in her hair. The eyes look a little bit soft to me, but still a great shot.clap.gif

Nicole
    edited August 21, 2005
    SnapHappy wrote:
    Great shots Maestro, especially the 2nd one & a great expression in the 3rd.
    Not sure what your problem is with editing as I use PBucket & don't have any probs.
    Thank you. I swear my little girl is a natural model. She loves being in front of the camera and "performing." Although as a father, she will NOT be doing any modeling until she is able to decide for herself what she wants. xzicon_smile_cool.gif
    edited August 21, 2005
    Nicole wrote:
    I love the 3rd shot. I like to angle of the shot as well as the expression on her face and the wind in her hair. The eyes look a little bit soft to me, but still a great shot.clap.gif

Nicole
    That is one of my favorite pics of her for sure. I think parts of the shots are little soft as well. I am still playing with the manual mode of my camera trying to learn what the best ISO/AV/shutter speed combination is for any given situation. Thanks for commenting.
    edited August 21, 2005
    Success on resizing. Yeah! Does Digital Grin not like FireFox? If I switch to IE, gasp, then I can get the editing function to work properly. Wierd.
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2005
    The second from last is very nice. It could of used a slightly smaller aperture though. I also realy enjoyed the one above it. Nice job.thumb.gif
  • ltdesignphotovideoltdesignphotovideo Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    I like the series. One suggestion, try to bring out your blacks and whites. Make your whites, white and darks, dark. It will add some punch to those great shots. Don't over do them however. Just enough to pop. They're a little to much around the mid-grey tone. Try that and see how you like them. I don't know what kind of edit software you have but try adjusting your light and dark levels.
    :drums
    Lindsay Thompson
    www.grafxcreative.com
    edited August 23, 2005
    I like the series. One suggestion, try to bring out your blacks and whites. Make your whites, white and darks, dark. It will add some punch to those great shots. Don't over do them however. Just enough to pop. They're a little to much around the mid-grey tone. Try that and see how you like them. I don't know what kind of edit software you have but try adjusting your light and dark levels.
    Will do. I have PS CS2. I am using the basic b/w settings for my Digital Rebel XT and about the only I do is adjust the brightness and contrast sometimes. I think Andy, organizer of Digital Grin, said he did his b/w shooting in RAW mode. I wonder if this would help. ne_nau.gif Anyhow, I really appreciate the feedback. thumb.gif
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    Maestro wrote:
    Will do. I have PS CS2. I am using the basic b/w settings for my Digital Rebel XT and about the only I do is adjust the brightness and contrast sometimes. I think Andy, organizer of Digital Grin, said he did his b/w shooting in RAW mode. I wonder if this would help. ne_nau.gif Anyhow, I really appreciate the feedback. thumb.gif
    cool pictures, but they could be a lot bolder. . .
    next time, take the pictures in color then convert in photoshop. if you put a digital color filter on an image before you desaturate is you can get a drastically different picture, the same way you would if you used an actual color filter on your lens. i also highly recommend a simple, but extraordinary free photoshop filter called virtual photographer from optikvervelabs.com. for pictures of people, i tend to go with a yellow filter, it seems to work the best. here's a recent shot done in virtual photographer:

32828148-S.jpg