Researching for a friend: product photog w/p'n's

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited June 15, 2010 in Cameras
I know a similar question came up recently and have read the thread, but I need some specific recommendations for a friend who's doing some jewellery-making and needs to do product shots for an online store. I'm not sure of her budget, but I'd guess "the lowest amount possible to get the results needed".

I just did some shots for her as a favour since she was desperate, but suggested that she'd be happier if she got a camera that could cope with the job so she can do it herself (I can't do these indefinitely and just agreed to help out for now). I took the shots with 2x off camera flashes, but I'm guessing she could reproduce the look with a simple light-tent setup.

But she still needs a point and shoot camera that can do the job for her. Recommendations? I'm assuming something with a decent macro mode, and some kind of aperture adjustment so she can do sharp closeups as well as shallow dof "artsy" shots for some.

Would the Canon G-series be too complex for a non-photog? What about the S series? (I only really know Canon, so please throw other brand possibilities at me!)

Any specific model suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    The G series pretty straightforward of an advanced PnS.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 14, 2010
    The PowerShot SX20 IS is about the least camera I recommend as it has a hot shoe and decent macro capability.

A light tent is a great idea for jewelry but it doesn't have to be a commercial light tent. Lighting and light control will be their greatest challenge.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Thanks both! Yes, I've already linked her to some of the DIY light tent tutorials - I suspect that and some daylight-balanced bulbs will probably get her started quite nicely.

I was looking at the XS20is earlier today and wondering what the macro was like, so thanks for mentioning that it's pretty good.

Anybody else - any brand is fine, just looking to give her some reccos.

As far as features, I figured she would need:

- highest mp count possible (to allow for deep cropping if necessary)
    - good macro
    - IS
    - some degree of manual control - I think she'd like the option to do some shallower dof shots than a pns usually allows.

Anything I've missed?

Thanks again!
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    One of the Digital-Era's problems is that everyone with a digital camera is a photographer, and photography is so easy that "…even my 6-year old can do it!"

…and unfortunately some of the results look just like they've been done by a 6-year old! eek7.gif

If she's not into photography, then why doesn't she just hire someone (pro or advanced amateur) to do the job for her?

ne_nau.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Thanks both! Yes, I've already linked her to some of the DIY light tent tutorials - I suspect that and some daylight-balanced bulbs will probably get her started quite nicely.

I was looking at the XS20is earlier today and wondering what the macro was like, so thanks for mentioning that it's pretty good.

Anybody else - any brand is fine, just looking to give her some reccos.

As far as features, I figured she would need:

- highest mp count possible (to allow for deep cropping if necessary)
    - good macro
    - IS
    - some degree of manual control - I think she'd like the option to do some shallower dof shots than a pns usually allows.

Anything I've missed?

Thanks again!

Your original post mentioned spending "the least amount that will get the required results". However, you never mentioned what the required results are. Is this jeweler needing truly stellar results? Or just so-so results? The better the results needed the more likely that the best route is to hire someone to do this. Seriously, how much time is willing to be invested in getting the camera, the lights, the light tent, photo editing software, playing and practicing and trying to get it right, versus hiring someone who really can deliver in a short period of time.

In other words, is this person a jeweler or is this person a photographer?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited June 14, 2010
    Wil and Bill - this is a startup hobby-business on Etsy - we're not talking about a big commercial endeavour. She DID ask somebody to do it - me - and I have done the first batch, but it's not something I can commit to over the medium or longer term (and I'm no commercial/product photographer anyway - I came up with something which will serve her well for now, but it's not really my thing.)

It occurred to me that for the very simple kinds of images she needs, she'll do just as well to learn a little bit about how to do it herself (I can teach her what she needs to know and am happy to help her in that way) and make a modest investment into some equipment which is good enough to do the job she needs it to do; she likes to have total control over projects, and that will allow her that (plus let her fit photos into her own timeline rather than somebody else's). She needs clear, simple images to show potential buyers the various merchandise designs. She's quite creative, so I'm sure with some basic technical guidance and a camera that does a bit more than her current very basic pns snapshot camera she'll be able to do a very nice job for herself.

Ziggy - one ofther thing occurred to me: if she wants to make a bigger investment into a camera, would it be worth recommending something like a Rebel XS + the EF-S 60mm macro lens as well as a kit lens? That might give her room to grow into it. Just a thought.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 14, 2010
    ... Ziggy - one ofther thing occurred to me: if she wants to make a bigger investment into a camera, would it be worth recommending something like a Rebel XS + the EF-S 60mm macro lens as well as a kit lens? That might give her room to grow into it. Just a thought.

For an EBay image I do think the P&S camera approach is reasonable. If they "want" a more advanced camera for more creative control that's certainly an option, but costs can get much higher pretty easily.

I would recommend electronic flash for most accurate color control and for exposure control.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Wil and Bill - this is a startup hobby-business on Etsy

Aha. Then I'd agree with Ziggy and stay the point and shoot route for now. If this Etsy business kicks into high gear then it can be re-evaluated later. A decent PNS with macro focusing, a cheap light tent and two external lamps. Seriously, you can use Home Depot shop lamps daylight balanced bulbs. And a tri-pod. I'm not convinced a flash is actually required (I've done this very thing w/o flash, it just takes longer exposures, hence the tripod).
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited June 14, 2010
    A decent PNS with macro focusing, a cheap light tent and two external lamps. Seriously, you can use Home Depot shop lamps daylight balanced bulbs.

Precisely what I have suggested to her thumb.gif It's the "decent pns" part I needed to check out - it's been a while since I've looked at them, and what *I* need is very different from what *she* needs :D
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Precisely what I have suggested to her thumb.gif It's the "decent pns" part I needed to check out - it's been a while since I've looked at them, and what *I* need is very different from what *she* needs :D

Get her the gimp deal.gif even simple image editing like using curves could help a lot.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Diva......here is a link to ebay for a fantastically great camera for her to use for this endeavor a Konica Minolta A2 .....I still use mine a lot ...... great features like a 28-200 lens, true floating focus point (the focus point can move to any part of the view finder...it is great for artsy stuff), Macro ability.
    I have used mine for shooting portraiture, landscapes and even food shots for a restaurant ......it is a versatile camera, I just wish Sony had keep making them.........

Make the light tent out of 1" - 1.5" pvc pipe and for the diffusing material....go to DAV, GoodWill, Salvation Army stores to get kinsize flat white sheets and for the table saw horses with a piece of plexiglass (clear) and for back ground another flat sheet for the jewelry to sit on like it was seamless paper the backdrop stamd can be made out of pvc also........do not glue any of it so it can be taken down and stored in minimal space.......

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited June 15, 2010
    Thanks everybody! Good reminder, Seymore - that will indeed make a big difference, especially if she gets one that can "boom" directly over the object.

Keep those comments comin'! thumb.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Thanks everybody! Good reminder, Seymore - that will indeed make a big difference, especially if she gets one that can "boom" directly over the object.

Keep those comments comin'! thumb.gif

the Giottos line has the best "boom" style of pod i have ever seen or used...... HERE is a link to one that would work great for your friend.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website