Lightning Storm

brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited June 15, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
This is my first attempt at capturing some lightning. We had a store and it was flashing literally every 1-2 seconds. I took these in Manual mode, manual focus, 30s exposure. I wish I had a remote to use the bulb mode, but dont so I had to shoot on the timer. CC welcomed.

900308910_oZDgu-M.jpg

900308835_7hNJm-M.jpg

900308753_caiu5-M.jpg

900308691_eGavr-M.jpg

Comments

• bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Last summer was my first shot at capturing lightning. I'm really looking forward to this monsoon season to improve my captures.

Here are couple from last summer. I used a remote trigger and fired off 8 sec exposures in the active direction until I caught these.

597572128_yYfGx-XL.jpg

597572126_NxGf5-XL.jpg

581667650_xjqw2-XL.jpg
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Guess I need some more practice and a remote shutter :D
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    I didn't post mine to distract from yours. Just sharing the joy of capturing lighting.

I like your shots. I think due to the longer exposures the clouds have a softness to them that makes for a pleasing image. clap.gif
  • ABCLABCL Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    I like the OP's #3 shot, the clouds look so soft and atmospheric with those dull tones. Not much lightning, but it works for me :)

Good stuff!
    edited June 14, 2010
    ABCL wrote: »
    I like the OP's #3 shot, the clouds look so soft and atmospheric with those dull tones. Not much lightning, but it works for me :)

Good stuff!
    Thank you :)
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Lightning is so hard to capture! I am really hoping to get some more practice at it this coming monsoon season. In a storm we had last year I got 4 shots out of 30.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Nice effort. You were there but its almost like you weren't where bolt
    viewing was at its best reveal.
    Love a good storm.
    Michael
  • SeatimeSeatime Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Nice shots Brvheart. I tried lightning a long time ago on film, but haven't tried it since. We just don't get the storms around here. Love a good lightning storm.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Hi brvheart :D

How have you been?

Wow...these look good for your first attemp. Someday I'll give it a try...maybe. For me I need to head out of town to get lighting photos and I just don't venture out when it's lighting out.

Looking forward to seeing more when you take them :D
    edited June 15, 2010
    Thanks everyone :)

You know this was totally no intentional. I was putting my son to bed, shut the light off and laid down with him for a minute. We both looked up at the time and saw a bunch of flashing - we both thought there was a cop or rescue outside, we both got up at the same time, looked out the window only to see lightning every second. I flew out his room, grabbed the camera, ran to the truck to get the tripod and mounted as fast as I could, through it in manual mode, turned off autofocus, put it in timer mode, and started snapping from my front porch. So the comment of
    DaddyO wrote:
    You were there but its almost like you weren't where bolt
    viewing was at its best reveal.
    is dead on. I did not set out to take these knowing that they were going to happen, I just so happen to see it and thought - I have wanted to shoot lightning forever!!! So I tried.

Sexy and Dog - long time no chat!!! Hopefully I will get some more time here to go shoot :) Great to see you both and hear from you - I hope that all is well.
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    brvheart wrote: »
    Sexy and Dog - long time no chat!!! Hopefully I will get some more time here to go shoot :) Great to see you both and hear from you - I hope that all is well.

Indeed. All is well here, got lots of shooting done in Moab with the trucks :D I hate coming back to work after a week long vacation like that. Good to see a post from you, hope all is well with you too :)
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    brvheart wrote: »

All is well here -- just came back from TX not to long ago. Hope to see more photos from you soon :D
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Great shots... every time there is a prediction for a night time thunderstorm I get amped up for the chance for a lightning capture.
    Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
    Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking