Diogmite

jaharris1001jaharris1001 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
edited June 15, 2010 in Holy Macro
a member of the robberfly family, also known as the "hanging thief" he captures his victims and typically will hang from a vine or twig while he pierces his victim with his proboscis and injects a tissue dissolving saliva into the victim, then he'll suck the body fluids out like using a straw :wink

4695894763_0ae6064b3b_b.jpg
"I'm growing older,, but not up"
Jimmy Buffet

Comments

• paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    beautiful shot. What's your setup? The near side is well lit, but the shadow is in front.
  • ArrowsmithArrowsmith Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Fantastic shot. I really like the dramatic lighting. Also, you have great DOF. The robbers we have here are pretty big and I have trouble getting both the body and legs in focus. If you don't mind sharing, what f-stop did you use? Thanks.

Bill
    Bill B.

Nikon D40
    Nikon SB-400, SB-21, SC-17
    Micro-Nikkor-P Auto 55 f/3.5, Micro-Nikkor 105 f/4, Tamron 90mm f/2.8, Nikon EL-nikkor 50 f/2.8
    Nikon F Bellows Model II
    Nikon E2, M, M2, PN-1 tubes

Flickr
  • jaharris1001jaharris1001 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    paddler4 wrote: »
    beautiful shot. What's your setup? The near side is well lit, but the shadow is in front.
    Thank you paddler,, my setup is a Canon 40D with a Sigma 105mm macro lens, a Canon 430ex off camera mounted on a Novoflex flash bracket and diffused with a Lumiquest softbox, there was natural backlighting here thats why there is the shadow in front of the Diogmite, I really liked the lighting coming across the leaf from behind :D Thanks for commenting
    Jimmy Buffet
    edited June 14, 2010
    Arrowsmith wrote: »
    Fantastic shot. I really like the dramatic lighting. Also, you have great DOF. The robbers we have here are pretty big and I have trouble getting both the body and legs in focus. If you don't mind sharing, what f-stop did you use? Thanks.

Bill
    most of our Robbers are pretty big here too, these diogmites are typically a tad smaller and thinner, I typically shoot in manual mode and manual focus with a shutter of 1/125 @ f13 with an ISO 100, those are my typical settings and I adjust on the fly according to how much ambient light I want, for this shot though it was f13,, Thanks for commenting !! thumb.gif
    Jimmy Buffet
  • clicketf3clicketf3 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    great detail, thanks for sharing.
  • R. ScottR. Scott Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Great shot, love the lighting.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Wondeful capture Jim - love the light
    Brian V.
    edited June 15, 2010
    thanks so much for looking and commenting guys !!! much appreciated
    Jimmy Buffet
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    a member of the robberfly family, also known as the "hanging thief" he captures his victims and typically will hang from a vine or twig while he pierces his victim with his proboscis and injects a tissue dissolving saliva into the victim, then he'll suck the body fluids out like using a straw mwink.gif
    Wondeful photograph!
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Daver2112Daver2112 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    clap.gifWow!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is an exceptional capture. The clarity and lighting are superb.