Options

The picture that you CAN'T take...

r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
edited June 14, 2010 in Technique
Anyone here ever struggle with an idea or concept that they tried to capture but no matter how many times you try, it seems to not work?

Eg: I can't shoot the moon to save my life. I'm not sure why I can't get it right but I've tried no less than two dozen times to capture the moon in all it's glory.

I see a million other people get it with no issue. Yeah, I know to follow the sunny 16 rule. Yes, I know you can use a black card before and after shutter release to rid the shot of vibration. Sure, I know a BUNCH of nifty tricks to get it right but I still can't make it happen lol. (YET!!)

Anyone else have shots like that that elude them? (Just makin' sure i'm not the only frustrated one lol)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited June 14, 2010
    For anyone struggling with photographic methods or technique, just show us some examples with full EXIF of what you have tried, or links to the photos with EXIF, along with an explanation of your technique, and we can help you achieve your goal or at least explain what is going on so you can work on the problem(s).

For imaging the moon it is pretty simple with a dSLR:

You need a stable platform in a decent tripod and head. Also use proper technique like eliminate camera shake with a remote release or timer release of the camera. MLU (mirror lock up) and remote release is best of all.

Focus with live view and magnification, if you have it. Otherwise practice during the day with manual focus and record the focus settings using a very distant object, or simply take a lot of test shots and review the results magnified to determine best focus.

You need a very long focal length lens. For a crop camera a 400mm-500mm lens and 1.4x teleconverter is not too much.

Fully manual operation of the dSLR exposure. Pathfinder gives you exposure settings here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1295752&postcount=10

Start with those settings and bracket the exposure if you need to.

Cold dry weather and no wind makes for the best shooting conditions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2010
    Lol. I've read/know all of that and still I suck. lol. I was just starting this thread to see if others were struggling with specific other things :P

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    i understand what you mean
    you want it , but it wont work :pissed
    doubting , trying , cursing , try again :booze

and when you think you figured it out ,
    the " proverbial moon" disappears behind clouds:hung
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    the moon was never a prob for me....I started shooting it back when we all used film........a few bracketed shots and it was nailed......
    now my frustration is fireworks.......I have followed every tute on the net and still to my chagrin no good pix...... :-}}
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    i've ran in to that.. but main issue I run into is my own laziness :)

Though, truth be told, all my "confusions" were usually address in a swing of a magic want by Art... or by the search engine ;) (but more so by Art)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    the moon was never a prob for me....I started shooting it back when we all used film........a few bracketed shots and it was nailed......
    now my frustration is fireworks.......I have followed every tute on the net and still to my chagrin no good pix...... :-}}
    Chalk fireworks up with the moon and lightening for things that are a pain for me to shoot. lol.

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    My biggest problem is that I can see one thing in my mind's eye but I can't get it onto the sensor/into the capture. So I can take the image but it still never looks as good as I think it should. So I feel your pain.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact