Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS Mega-Challenge #8 (Emergence)

2»

Comments

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Thanks for taking the time to comment on every entry. I would like to see the other judges do the same. I think mega challenges should be no different than other rounds where the judges comment on their top 10 picks. Since the point if these challenges are more about learning than anything else, I would like to see how each individual judge ranked the entries along with their reasonings behind their rankings by commenting under each entry. I would like this to be a "requirement" in mega challenges. Show us your ranking and tell us why instead of showing us a total score. Doing it this way will benefit the community a great deal.

Very well said, Allen!!! clap.gif

I wanted to say this, but didn't dare... :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    While I agree it would be nice to have each judge comment on the entries in a mega challenge, making it a "requirement" is not going to make it easy to find judges that are both willing to take the time to volunteer judge as well as comment on each of their picks. When I recruit and send out instructions on the judging I do encourage them to make comments if they are inclined to do so, but it is very clear that it is NOT a requirement.

In the regular rounds the main judge is asked to make comments as part of the requirements of winning, this seems fair since there is a prize involved. For mega challenges the judges are doing it on a volunteer basis only. They are not getting paid nor is there a prize involved.

Another way of looking at it would be that the regular rounds are the learning environment and the mega is where you apply what you have learned.

I feel that you will have a much more honest and proper set of feedback results if you have a judge that truly does it because they want to, NOT because they have been required to.
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    photo-bug wrote: »
    Wow Emily, thank you so much for the critique and clarification on what I've done - very, very helpful!
    I really appreciate this :)

*I read all your comments, and understood a lot of things - I didn't find anything "brutal", just clear
    professional help - Thank you again.

You are very welcome!!!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    While I agree it would be nice to have each judge comment on the entries in a mega challenge, making it a "requirement" is not going to make it easy to find judges that are both willing to take the time to volunteer judge as well as comment on each of their picks. When I recruit and send out instructions on the judging I do encourage them to make comments if they are inclined to do so, but it is very clear that it is NOT a requirement.

In the regular rounds the main judge is asked to make comments as part of the requirements of winning, this seems fair since there is a prize involved. For mega challenges the judges are doing it on a volunteer basis only. They are not getting paid nor is there a prize involved.

Another way of looking at it would be that the regular rounds are the learning environment and the mega is where you apply what you have learned.

I feel that you will have a much more honest and proper set of feedback results if you have a judge that truly does it because they want to, NOT because they have been required to.
    Perfectly stated, Sean. And by the way - you're doing such an amazing job with these challenges!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    Perfectly stated, Sean. And by the way - you're doing such an amazing job with these challenges!

Ditto Sean, and thanks for all the time you spend moderating the challenges!
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    Thank you Greensquared and dlscott56.

What I would really like to do at this point is wholeheartedly thank all the the judges, volunteer or otherwise, for taking the time out of their day to lend us their opinions. My goal in this last round was to bring together as many of the Mega challenge first place winners as possible so that we all could benefit from a trained eye and exceptional ability to see into and past the surface of an image. I was very excited to have all but one of them that I asked agree to judge.

To give balance to the panel I sought an outside eye as well and found my friend and colleague, Jurgen who has served as president of my local photo club for several years. His eye for composition and beauty in an image is much admired by myself.

Thank you!
    Greensquared, cmurph, PaulThomasMcKee and Jurgen bowdown.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »

It makes sense to me thumb.gif

I'd like to subscribe to the kudos on how great you are doing this so difficult task, Sean. Congratulations clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    am just seeing these recent posts, and the comments made by Greensquared. Thankyou for the thoughtful view given mine and the others in the Mega.
    Your comments did exactly as they should, express another view to the images that may not be seen. Very nicely done.
    Thanks for the comments on my image, as the bounce is an excellent idea. I had not thought of opening up that side of the shadow. It may have played well. Thanks for promoting thought.