Looking for Wider Lens

ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
edited June 22, 2010 in Cameras
I am 100% in love with my Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. That being said, I spent time this past weekend really wanting something wider, but with just as low an f/stop. I primarily shoot weddings and portraiture to pay for the gear, but do dabble in nature, etc. The lens I've found that looks appealing is the Sigma 10mm f/2.8, but I'm looking for other's opinions and recommendations. I found the Tamron based on the recommendations here on dgrin, so I figured you guys would help me chose my next one. The price point of the Sigma is doable, so I'd rather not go much higher than $650.
Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    The only Sigma 10mm f/2.8 that I know of is a fisheye. If that's what you want, go for it. If you want a fast rectilinear lens, then the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 might be a better choice, but I think it's a bit more expensive.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    craig_d wrote: »
    The only Sigma 10mm f/2.8 that I know of is a fisheye. If that's what you want, go for it. If you want a fast rectilinear lens, then the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 might be a better choice, but I think it's a bit more expensive.

Thanks for the tip, Craig. I'll check out the Tokina. A rectangular fisheye, like the Sigma, would be fine. I'm just looking for wider than what I have so I don't have to stitch. I shot in a mansion this past weekend and it was hard to capture the grandeur without stitching and, when I did stitch, the files are too big for PS to bring back in to LR3 without a save as.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 14, 2010
    The Sigma 10mm, f2.8 EX DC HSM is a "fisheye" lens meaning that it is not corrected for rectilinear distortions. It does have full-frame coverage on a crop camera and the fisheye distortion is not too severe.

If you want a super-wide angle lens with good rectilinear correction there are a number of zoom lenses to choose from that are all pretty good quality, such as:

Canon EF-S 10-22mm, f3.5-4.5 USM
    Tokina AT-X Pro SD 12-24mm, F4 (IF)
    Sigma AF 10-20mm, f4-5.6 EX DC
    Tamron 10-24mm, f3.5-4.5 DI-II LD Aspherical (IF)

These lenses would be a pretty good choice for vista landscapes, some interior work including wedding shots that "establish" the location, and some architectural work. I use the above Sigma super-wide zoom for those applications on a Canon crop camera.

The Tokina 11-16mm, f2.8 ATX is a constant aperture f2.8 that many folks like, but at around $800 may bust your budget. The Sigma 10-20mm, f3.5 EX DC HSM is a bit faster than the one I have, but I'm not sure I would recommend it over the slower lens, even though it is closer to your budget.

From my Sigma AF 10-20mm, f4-5.6 EX DC:

584919541_vQFmE-O.jpg

753213583_xagaS-O.jpg

258640093_M8DVn-O.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    ziggy the tokina goes for $599 fyi
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited June 14, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    ziggy the tokina goes for $599 fyi

I'm liking what I've read about the Tokina. But where the heck can you find one froma reputable dealer? Is it being discontinued or something?headscratch.gif
    edited June 14, 2010
    Hopefully Tokina is ramping up production but sadly it does look like if you need that lens now and new in a Canon mount then the current asking price from places with stock is around $800 or just under.
    ziggy53
    edited June 14, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Hopefully Tokina is ramping up production but sadly it does look like if you need that lens now and new in a Canon mount then the current asking price from places with stock is around $800 or just under.

It's just plain nuts. Does anyone know what the wait is usually?
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    I enjoyed Canon's 10-22 EF-S. I found it sharp and at 3.5 quite fast for an ultrawide.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    I just picked up a nikon 10.5 fisheye. That thing is cool! The part I like the most about it is that it has a VERY close focus distance. Maybe 2 inches? And virtually a 180 degree view. Makes for some interesting shots.
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    I've got both the Nikkor 10.5mm fishey and the Tok 11-16...

I RARELY pull out the fisheye any more. I used to love that lens so much that I would use it to shoot (yes, as close as an inch away from things) and correct the distortion just to get huge, close, wide angle shots.

Now, I use the Tok on my lens more than any other lens. I think it's a huge reflection of my personality though and my love for getting into things (and trouble sometimes lol). I highly recommend the Tokina though. Like someone said, it's $600 but trust me, it's well worth it. I had the 12-24 and loved it. Two months after I bought that, they released the 11-16 and I love the faster aperture (f/2.8) over the original 12-24 (f/4). I DID notice that at f/2.8 the Tokina is softer than the Nikkor and the 12-24. Just something to note. To get TACK sharp shots, you'll have to stop it down a smidge. That's for the perfectionist though. The Nikkor needs no editing and is ALWAYS RIDICULOUSLY sharp.

Sorry for the rant, enjoy your 11-16 when you get it!! :D

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited June 15, 2010
    I'm definitely sold on the 11-16 when I can find the sucker for sale somewhere reputable. Damn Tokina! Get your production together!
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    I'm definitely sold on the 11-16 when I can find the sucker for sale somewhere reputable. Damn Tokina! Get your production together!

The only problem with the 11-16, per others who had/have the lens, is the 5mm difference isn't much of a change/zoom. Maybe a step ... so just be aware that what you really have is an 11mm and don't expect alot of change on the 16mm end.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    What about New Sigma 8-16 lens ???

I have finally made my mind for an UWA and Sigma came up with that... review on Phozone.de is positive but no samples
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    What about New Sigma 8-16 lens ???

I have finally made my mind for an UWA and Sigma came up with that... review on Phozone.de is positive but no samples

+1 The 8-16mm is really wide and gets some great reviews so far.
    edited June 15, 2010
    The 8-16 is tempting, but the f/stop isn't as low as I normally buy. How does it do with lower light?
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    ^^ Sigma 4.5-5.6. Eeek.

In regards to the short zoom of the 11-16... it's a super wide lens. I never use anything but 11 lol. I guess if I had to tweak a composition ever so slightly to throw something out of my edges I'd move it but 99% of the time, I leave it at 11 and use footzoom. :D

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited June 15, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    ^^ Sigma 4.5-5.6. Eeek.

In regards to the short zoom of the 11-16... it's a super wide lens. I never use anything but 11 lol. I guess if I had to tweak a composition ever so slightly to throw something out of my edges I'd move it but 99% of the time, I leave it at 11 and use footzoom. :D

You are saying what I am thinking.
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Because of the field of view on wide angle lenses, you can shoot at much lower shutter speeds and get sharp shots of stationary objects. I would let f stop worry you unless you are shooting moving objects in low light.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    I have had no problems with my Sigma 10-20 EX, its sharp, and while it isnt constant aperture or particularly bright, I have not had an situation where I wished for brighter.

I have a whole gallery where I shot with this lens around Paris if you would like to see more. Includes some nite shots as well:

http://digitalmason.smugmug.com/Travel/Paris-2008/4231317_W6kQY#292240649_P48VZ

292240649_P48VZ-S.jpg
    edited June 22, 2010
    cmason wrote: »
    I have had no problems with my Sigma 10-20 EX, its sharp, and while it isnt constant aperture or particularly bright, I have not had an situation where I wished for brighter.

Bingo! That's exactly what I wound up getting. I went to my local photo shop and tried out everything that they had. I wound up walking out with the Sigma 10-20 and used it at a wedding this past weekend. I'm extremely pleased with it thus far. wings.gif

Thanks for your help, everyone!
    edited June 22, 2010
    Bingo! That's exactly what I wound up getting. I went to my local photo shop and tried out everything that they had. I wound up walking out with the Sigma 10-20 and used it at a wedding this past weekend. I'm extremely pleased with it thus far. wings.gif

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Congratulations. I am likewise very happy with mine. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • AntontraxAntontrax Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Great! Glad you found something and went for it

I was able to get that 11-16 Tokina last year, though I had to wait a while for production to catch-up too!
    For anybody else in the market, I'd recommend it. It's sharp and well-built.
    Way out West-2
    "Absorb what is useful, Discard what is useless, Add what is uniquely your own" - Bruce Lee

Learn Motorcycle Travel Photography! www.motojournalism.com

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
    Follow me on Twitter