Joshua Tree in AZ

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited June 22, 2010 in Landscapes
This was taken at the Joshua Tree forest in AZ. There are tons of Joshua trees but the storm with lightning came in very fast chasing us out - so I only got a few. I'm trying to get this black and white 'just so'. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

900919699_QqA4t-XL.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Very nice Eia. Good choice doing this in b&w thumb.gif
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Very nice Eia. Good choice doing this in b&w thumb.gif

This is very nice thumb.gif What happens if you darken the shadows a bit?
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    karlabbott wrote: »
    This is very nice thumb.gif What happens if you darken the shadows a bit?
    Thanks for the suggestion; I am fearful of it being too dark. Here's a bit of shadow. Suggestions?

901411966_kDhg2-XL.jpg
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Very nice Eia.
    I prefer the 2nd version the first seems a little too grey scale with insufficient black, the adjusted version has more punch imho.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
    edited June 15, 2010
    AndMan wrote: »
    Very nice Eia.
    I prefer the 2nd version the first seems a little too grey scale with insufficient black, the adjusted version has more punch imho.

Thank you - I agree, the shadows give more punch. I am always fearful of being too heavy handed with shadows...even though I like em!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    The 2d version is better, IMO. I lived a short while in the Mojave desert and was always fascinated by Joshua trees!. You've done a very nice job with this one.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Eia, the light on the tree and the detail in it are really very nice! I don't think the sky above adds much though, although I can see the attraction of trying to get some drama from those clouds. If you think you have the resolution, I would suggest try making it a study of the tree - crop in on it, so it is further front and against the left edge, and make a vista through to the hill on the right, with that hill just going out of frame. Lose some of the upper sky, and use the clouds in the lower sky for drama. I'm not sure I like the darker version. I'd say wait and see what you get when the tree fills more of the frame.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited June 17, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    Eia, the light on the tree and the detail in it are really very nice! I don't think the sky above adds much though, although I can see the attraction of trying to get some drama from those clouds. If you think you have the resolution, I would suggest try making it a study of the tree - crop in on it, so it is further front and against the left edge, and make a vista through to the hill on the right, with that hill just going out of frame. Lose some of the upper sky, and use the clouds in the lower sky for drama. I'm not sure I like the darker version. I'd say wait and see what you get when the tree fills more of the frame.

Neil

Thanks for the suggestion - I really appreciate it! If the lightning had not chased us away I could have got some really dramatic clouds...but...I like the crop and attention on the tree. 904351752_DJ2Sc-XL.jpg
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Ooh, yes! I like the cropped version a lot more! The tree really stands out now!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Yep, it has a lot more interest and impact for me now.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Eia,

The cropped version is much more powerful. Very striking, indeed.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    Good job! Nice shot. Clean great treatment and detail.

Sam
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    Eia,

The cropped version is much more powerful. Very striking, indeed.

Tom
    15524779-Ti.gifclap
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
    edited June 18, 2010
    Thanks Everyone - I like the cropped version better too1
  • Kat28Kat28 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    I grew up in the Mojave Desert :) OP, nice shot. Love the choice of B&W, second version looks best IMO
    redleash wrote: »
    The 2d version is better, IMO. I lived a short while in the Mojave desert and was always fascinated by Joshua trees!. You've done a very nice job with this one.

Lauren
    edited June 21, 2010
    Kat28 wrote: »
    I grew up in the Mojave Desert :) OP, nice shot. Love the choice of B&W, second version looks best IMO

Thanks Lauren - It's one of my favorite places!
  • shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    Eia wrote: »
    Thanks Lauren - It's one of my favorite places!

You know you have a wall hanger when you get this kind of response. Nice work
    edited June 22, 2010
    shawnc wrote: »
    You know you have a wall hanger when you get this kind of response. Nice work

Your words are too kind. If it's good then it is due to the D-Grinners for their advice and help! clap.gif