Options

Not Green on purpose!

KimbookreaderKimbookreader Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited June 15, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I recently took "Senior Photos" for my niece and as a thank you gift for the homeowner who allowed us to use their premises...I photographed their barn and did an artsy effect.......this was my description to the "Super Heros"
Hey Support Heroes,
I'm Kim, my site is http://kimcphotography.smugmug.com, and I'm using Internet Explorer on Windows.
The question is:
What do I do if I am not satisfied with my merchandise? I ordered a 5x7 photo panel (order
#1514512) and it arrived wonderfully fast, but horribly GREEN.I had selected the plantings on the barn posts and copied this to another layer and then removed the color from the original. I then merged the two layers so that only the plants were colorized. Finally, I used the drybrush tech to the entire print. The entire photo came back darker (less contrast) and it has a very green cast. I look forward to your response.
Kim Cupples

Is there a way to avoid the printers from auto color correcting? This is the first time I've used this site to do any of my "custom" printing and I am hesitant to take the actual orders if the printed product is going to be so different from how my uploaded image appeared. I do appreciate the willingness to reprint; have been too busy with new work to follow up on my "gift" idea. where do I start? thanks Kim Cupples

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 14, 2010
    Hi Kim wave.gif
    In the case of this particular shot. It is already well exposed and has decent color. So True Color (or no correction) would have been a better option for the print. Our Auto Color works extremely well. But is one setting that does its best to cover all instances. So there is a small percentage of images that Auto Color doesn't work as well for. One happens to be bright green photos. Or photos with heavily saturated green background. The green can become a bit overpowering. That sounds like what happened here.

To change this gallery from correction to no correction. Click on the Tools button>This Gallery>Set Prices. Then make sure the Correction (to the right) check box is left un-checked. This will make sure no additional processing is applied at the labs.

When we replied, to your earlier inquiry. We asked you to attach a photo of the print, to your reply. Once we received the photo (to verify if what I wrote above is correct). We would then place a new, no cost, order, using True Color for the reprint.

We are awaiting your reply at the Desk and we're ready to get this reprint rolling for you ASAP.

Cavig :cavig
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    aaronbrownaaronbrown Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Hi Kim wave.gif
    In the case of this particular shot. It is already well exposed and has decent color. So True Color (or no correction) would have been a better option for the print. Our Auto Color works extremely well. But is one setting that does its best to cover all instances. So there is a small percentage of images that Auto Color doesn't work as well for. One happens to be bright green photos. Or photos with heavily saturated green background. The green can become a bit overpowering. That sounds like what happened here.

Is this an EZPrints or Bay Photo issue?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    aaronbrown wrote: »
    Is this an EZPrints or Bay Photo issue?

Just at EZP, where the color correction is by computer program, but really, the software we've been using for a looooooong time has produced amazingly consistent and great results.

Bay, the Color Correction is by professional techs, by hand.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2010
    very helpful
    Thanks for your help. I have changed the auto color correct check box as you instructed and have taken a photo of the photo panel.

To get the most "professional" look (or possibly I should say professional finish) to the senior photos for my niece, which print service and print option would you most recommend. I will try a 5x7 sample first to see if it is what my sister had in mind.
    thanks again,
    Kim
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2010
    Aaron, I ordered it from the smugmug merchandise option. It was the only option where I found the simple photo panel look that I was searching for. As also suggested in another response I received, I did change the setting to auto color correct that gallery. There are so many options, I either missed or ignored that checked box. thanks for your response to my challenge!
    Kim
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2010
    Andy, from your response to Aaron, can I gather that you would suggest to me that I use Bay, to have the "Senior Photos" processed for my niece? I asked "Cavig" for his recommendation as well after his response to my thread. I haven't had anything printed through your services with a portrait look yet. I am open to advice to give them the most "professional finish". I will order a 5x7 sample to present to my sister to see if it is what she also had in mind before we place a large order and then be unhappily surprised. I know this site has amazing capabilities, just not confident of mine yet! Thanks again for any advice.
    Kim
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Andy, from your response to Aaron, can I gather that you would suggest to me that I use Bay, to have the "Senior Photos" processed for my niece? I asked "Cavig" for his recommendation as well after his response to my thread. I haven't had anything printed through your services with a portrait look yet. I am open to advice to give them the most "professional finish". I will order a 5x7 sample to present to my sister to see if it is what she also had in mind before we place a large order and then be unhappily surprised. I know this site has amazing capabilities, just not confident of mine yet! Thanks again for any advice.
    Kim

Bay is our true pro lab. Leave color correction ON for Bay and let them professionally and excellently adjust (as needed) color, brightness, density, white balance, etc. You won't be disappointed.