Options

Panama - Kuna Yala Region

bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
edited June 22, 2010 in Journeys
My wife and I got the chance to head down to Panama recently and we took a trip up to the Kuna Yala region on the Caribbean side. It was pretty much postcard perfect with the exception of some trash floating in the waters here and there. The Kuna Indians enjoy autonomy from the Panamanian government and get to keep the money from tourism which they have kept under control through limiting expansion and not allowing any foregin ownership of land. Fantastic! The only drawback is the amount of trash floating in the waters that comes from the villages and 'up stream' from Colon. However, the Kuna community are currently working on a creating landfills and cleaning up the waters. They realize the gem they have and want to protect it now and in the future.

#1 - the biggest airport in the Kuna Region :wink
887112297_eaLzh-M.jpg

#2 - a good amount of hammock time was had, a very relaxed place!
887111656_Arn29-L.jpg

#3 - the Kuna use traditional dugout canoes for pretty much all their transporation and fishing activity. Many years ago they were based on the mainland but disease and other troubles drove them to become more of an island people.
887111155_uizck-L.jpg

#4 - Not much to say about this, this place is pure beauty.
887110653_XWR42-M.jpg

#5 - Relax.
887109959_sPSxq-L.jpg

#6 - the village of Playon Chico. This was the closest village to our island and we got the chance to take a tour and meet some more Kuna. I kept my SLR back on the island for the tour since the Kuna children (and adults) have come to expect $1 per photo taken and things can get a little raucous once the camera comes out. Although a $1 per photo is most certainly reasonable for me, the main reason I left the camera behind was because I felt awkward about wanting to take photos of them. I didn't want to feel like I was walking through a zoo and gawking I guess. Looking back maybe I should have got some people shots, but nonetheless I have few pictures of the village.
887112876_of2o7-L.jpg

#7 - our island, Yandup Island Lodge.
887108885_KE6hr-M.jpg

#8 - gorgeous scenery :thumb
887108267_ZTxX4-M.jpg

#9 - Coconut Man - he wanted to sell us some coconuts but we had no money and honestly surrounded by them at the time. Very nice man and a great example of the Kuna in their canoes going about their daily business.
887107106_xnrxN-L.jpg

#10 - what is a vacation without sampling the local brew?
887104168_KAxrK-M.jpg

#11 - Our waterborne chariot.
887106028_xoQ2j-M.jpg

#12 - Our airborne chariot.
887101714_4yN9v-M.jpg

And a few pics from Panama City itself....

#13 - the building in the background is the former famous el Club Union that was the center of Panama City high society for a long time. Manuel Noriega used it after he took power to throw lavish parties as well. It has been in state of decay for a long time, but is slowly being rebuilt into a luxury hotel.
887101531_8XbLn-M.jpg

#14 - Casca Viego or the old city in Panama City is basically in a very slow state of gentrification. A lot buildings look like this one, a shell of their former glory. However just a few blocks down from this stood a most excellent ice cream shop that you would expect to find in an upscale city. Hopefully one day the residents of Panama City can restore the beauty of Casca Viego and enjoy it once again.
887100388_TDUmW-M.jpg

#15 - Old & New
887101634_Vb7Kr-M.jpg

Thanks for looking! Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    I would (personally) cut some of the foreground grass out of the first shot... that said...

The rest of your shots are fantastic! I LOVE the processing of #6. Even with the focus being dead center the picture *draws* you in. Very cool shots!

#4, I would have been a strobist whore and set up a speedlight in the room with a CTO gel and added some "oomph" to the shot but the silhouette makes it unique. :D

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited June 17, 2010
    Hey Wally, Journeys is more about the trip and less about the photography.

Great story and nice to see how things are changing once again.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    ^^ Yeah but it's hard not to say something when the rest of the pics are so amazing lol.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    Thanks for the comments guys, it is certainly changing for the better there I think. Still some rough areas like many other cities across the world but from the within PC to the coastal waters to the rain forest they are realizing what an asset they have.

I probably egged on the critique by numbering the photos, my bad 11doh.gif
  • Options
    AntontraxAntontrax Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Love that Playon Chico photothumb.gif

Hooo boy, I had a lot of Balboa during my time in Panama:D
    Were you able to fly from Carti to Panama City, or did you ford the river and take that crazy road?
    "Absorb what is useful, Discard what is useless, Add what is uniquely your own" - Bruce Lee

Learn Motorcycle Travel Photography! www.motojournalism.com

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
    Follow me on Twitter
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    Antontrax wrote: »
    Love that Playon Chico photothumb.gif

Hooo boy, I had a lot of Balboa during my time in Panama:D
    Were you able to fly from Carti to Panama City, or did you ford the river and take that crazy road?

Thanks!

Yep, we flew from PC to Playon Chico via a few small strips of pavement they call airports. I fly for a U.S. airline, but a lot of days would rather do that type of island hopping in the Caribbean. Now THAT is flying!