Tamron AF 18-270mm

GrissomGrissom Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited June 25, 2010 in Cameras
I was looking at the Tamron AF18-270mm F3.5-6.3 DiII VC for my 30D, any experience with this lens or can you offer a better choice for a telephoto zoom. I would like to have a good multi purpose lens.

Thanks

Comments

• EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Do you have any lenses at the moment?

One thing you should consider is that superzoom lenses tend not to have the image quality of lenses with less zoom. You are trading image quality for versatility. For that price, my preference would be Canon's 15-85mm due to its sharpness. But, to help you out, it would be a great to know more about what kind of photography you are interested in, and what you shoot.
  • GrissomGrissom Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    I have the kit lens, EF 50mm 1.4 and EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS

My main interests are landscape and wildlife

I was looking for a "all around type lens" that would be suitable for most people, granted there are "better" lenses for more specific purposes.

I had been using a Tamron AF 28-200mm SuperII Macro on my Pentax film camera and been happy with the photo results, however I just recently dropped it and the lens need to be repaired/replaced so I was looking for a quality lens that would work all around for the 30D
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Is the kit lens a 28-135?

To be honest, my opinion is that it's a good idea not to try and get a lens that does both wildlife and landscape. The Tamron may be alright for general purpose landscape, but on the long end, it gets soft and slow with an aperture of 6.3. My favorite lens in the ultra-zoom range is the Canon 18-200 IS, and it is sharper than the Tamron at all focal lengths. You can also get a 1.4 teleconverter for your 70-200mm and that would make a decent wildlife lens.

Others may have different opinions though and hopefully someone else will chime in.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 15, 2010
    The Tamron AF 18-270mm, f3.5-6.3 Di II LD [IF] Asph. VC is designed to be an extremely convenient lens for good light and snapshot image sizes. Simple subjects would be good to 5" x 7".

I much prefer a 2 lens solution.

You already have an EF 70-200mm, f2.8L IS USM so I would use that lens and purchase a Canon 1.4x teleconverter for extra reach.

A fine standard lens for indoor use and walk-a-round, and a fair price, is the Tamron 17-50mm, f2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]. It is good enough for professional use and paying events. Use an appropriate flash with a focus assist light and a flash modifier for the indoor, low-light applications.

A better standard zoom for Canon cameras, at a much higher cost, is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM is a simply wonderful choice. It is basically an "L" quality optic but in an advanced consumer body.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GrissomGrissom Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote: »
    Is the kit lens a 28-135?

To be honest, my opinion is that it's a good idea not to try and get a lens that does both wildlife and landscape. The Tamron may be alright for general purpose landscape, but on the long end, it gets soft and slow with an aperture of 6.3. My favorite lens in the ultra-zoom range is the Canon 18-200 IS, and it is sharper than the Tamron at all focal lengths. You can also get a 1.4 teleconverter for your 70-200mm and that would make a decent wildlife lens.

Others may have different opinions though and hopefully someone else will chime in.

The kit lens is an EF S 18-55
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,875 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    I bought this lens some time ago to use it as alround lens on my (very) old 300D (Digital Rebel)

Although I find it to be very slow (AF), the picture quality is not bad (I use it mostly during trips with my motorcycle)

Some examples: http://gspep.smugmug.com/Photography/Tamron-18-270-mm-VC-lens/

I made several pictures of the same subject using different focal lengths.
  • ntotrrntotrr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    While they don't produce the best image quality, these superzooms have their place. I like to use mine as a walk-around one lens solution when I don't want to or cannot carry around a bag of lenses. A two-lens solution will offer better image quality but when you only want one lens, a superzoom might be right.

I have two of these lenses, a Sigma 18-200mm DC OS for my Sigma SD14 body and a new Sigma 18-250mm DC OS HSM for my Canon 7D body. I opted for the Sigma 18-250mm over the Tamron because with the HSM, the Sigma focuses faster. Image quality is good from my two superzooms. I used the 18-250mm DC OS and the 7D a couple of weeks ago walking around near ground zero in Manhattan. Here are a few of the shots I took

895858373_4fHNo-L-1.jpg

895858735_Z28sS-L-1.jpg

895858425_mQfqN-L-1.jpg

895857825_eMW6R-L-1.jpg
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    ntotrr wrote: »
    While they don't produce the best image quality, these superzooms have their place. I like to use mine as a walk-around one lens solution when I don't want to or cannot carry around a bag of lenses. A two-lens solution will offer better image quality but when you only want one lens, a superzoom might be right.

15524779-Ti.gif I have the Tamron 18-270 and use it as my walkaround lens when I am on vacation. I shoot with a Canon 40D and also have the 70-200L 2.8 but when I went to Hawaii (and on my upcoming Southwest trip) I didn't feel like lugging the 70-200 on the plane. The Tamron worked great.

Stephanie
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Grissom wrote: »
    I was looking at the Tamron AF18-270mm F3.5-6.3 DiII VC for my 30D, any experience with this lens or can you offer a better choice for a telephoto zoom. I would like to have a good multi purpose lens.

Thanks

I purchased this lens when Tamron first released it and sold it 3 months later. My copy "hunted" a ton (even in sufficient light). Additionally, I found the color/contrast to be significantly lacking when compared to Canon OEM glass. While the zoom range is great, this lens does have it's share of issues. If you are hunting for an all-in-one lens that doesn't break the bank, I'd recommend the Canon 18-200. A better choice in terms of image quality & color/contrast would be the Canon 24-105 f4L. Definitely more expensive, but a great all around lens. I use mine about 80% of the time & if I could only have one lens, that would be the one. I hope this helps.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook