Options

Frustrated with Silver Efex Pro

kengladekenglade Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
edited June 20, 2010 in Technique
I just coughed up a considerable amount of money for SEP, intending to run it with PSE 6. However, I can't get it to run. I inserted the disk that came with the program, typed in my name and product key number, and then proceeded with the installation process. After a few questions, I was informed that the installation had been successful.

However, when I open PSE 6 -- no matter if its a TIFF or a JPG, whether it has been converted to b&w or not -- I am unable to open SEP. There is =no= SEP option in the Filter Menu.

If I go to Applications (I'm on a Mac) not matter which file I click on in the SEP foilder I get the response: "Unable to coplete your request because Photoshop does not recognize that type of file."

I sent an email to Nik and I got a response saying that my question would be addressed and I'd hear from them in "one or two days."

Need I say this is frustrating?

If anyone has a solution to this problem, I'd be very grateful for a response.

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Nik Software is a really good company. Did you look at the user guide?

In general, most people use the various Nik programs with either LR, Aperture or PS and not PSE. The plug in paths are probably installed incorrectly.
  • Options
    dahn8dahn8 Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    Hi Ken... I had the same problem with the Color Efex Pro 3 WC3 version that came with my Wacom Bamboo tablet. I also tried downloading a trial version of the full Color Efex Pro 3 from their website and still had a problem...

It took me a little while but I found out it was because I was running photoshop in 64-bits (I'm running Photoshop CS5 under Mac OSX Snow Leopard). Turns out, the Nik Software was only compatible with 32-bits. Once I opened Photoshop in 32-bits, it worked. It's a little bit of a bummer i suppose to lose the 64-bits but at least now I can get my Color Efex to work.

If you don't know how to change to 32-bits, here is how. Go to your HD -> Applications and open the Photoshop folder (for me it says Adobe Photoshop CS5... i guess yours would say Photoshop Elements). Once you are in the folder, go find the icon that launches the program. Then right click the icon. Click "Get Info." You will find a little item you can check to open the program in 32-bits. Check that. Then try launching the program.

I'm not sure if that will fix it for you, but i figured i'd let you know just in case! Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

Oh, and for what its worth, my Wacom tablet came with Adobe Photoshop Elements and claimed that the Color Efex that came with the tablet would work with it as well.
  • Options
    kengladekenglade Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    dahn8 wrote: »
    Hi Ken... I had the same problem with the Color Efex Pro 3 WC3 version that came with my Wacom Bamboo tablet. I also tried downloading a trial version of the full Color Efex Pro 3 from their website and still had a problem...

It took me a little while but I found out it was because I was running photoshop in 64-bits (I'm running Photoshop CS5 under Mac OSX Snow Leopard). Turns out, the Nik Software was only compatible with 32-bits. Once I opened Photoshop in 32-bits, it worked. It's a little bit of a bummer i suppose to lose the 64-bits but at least now I can get my Color Efex to work.

If you don't know how to change to 32-bits, here is how. Go to your HD -> Applications and open the Photoshop folder (for me it says Adobe Photoshop CS5... i guess yours would say Photoshop Elements). Once you are in the folder, go find the icon that launches the program. Then right click the icon. Click "Get Info." You will find a little item you can check to open the program in 32-bits. Check that. Then try launching the program.

I'm not sure if that will fix it for you, but i figured i'd let you know just in case! Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

Oh, and for what its worth, my Wacom tablet came with Adobe Photoshop Elements and claimed that the Color Efex that came with the tablet would work with it as well.

Good points. many thanks. Yesterday was a break-through day. After numerous -- and I mean numerous -- re-installs I finally hit the right combo. I'm not sure exactly what I did differently but SEP suddenly popped up.

This is nothing against the program but I sincerely wish that Nik would realign its support policies to make help more accessible. Maybe I just needed someone to walk me through the installation to start with. It would have saved me a lot of aggravation.

As the support policy currently exists it is sort of like giving someone a car without a key and saying you have to figure out for yourself how to make it run.