Tamron 60mm f/2 macro underexposing? HELP!

jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited June 16, 2010 in Cameras
Well i just got a Tamron 60mm f/2 macro and it underexposes by like 1 stop or more. I'm using it on a D300 and did some comparison shots with this and my Nikon 60mm 2.8 macro that I was hoping to replace with this lens...and the two lenses are always at least a stop or more apart. I have a couple of days that I can still send it back to get my money back and am hoping that I can figure something out so I can keep it because I love the idea of the lens but I cant have it putting me a stop under on every shot... Anyways any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Heres some samples with the tamron. All of them were shot with no exposure compensation, auto w/b.

aperture priority and matrix metering:
902798010_YRfes-M.jpg

Aperture priority, spot metering on the dogs face:
902797974_r2DNu-M.jpg

Program mode, matrix metering:
902797998_A5r42-M.jpg
Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge

Comments

• amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Why don't you just "overexpose" it to get to the correct exposure?
    ANTHONY :thumb
    [AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]

• r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    2 to 2.8 IS a stop difference lol.

Are all the settings the same? Are you shooting both lenses at f/2.8 to make a fair comparison?

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 16, 2010
    Are you getting the same problem using the D90?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    -amb2833, yeah I can set the camera to overexpose by 1 or 1 1/3 stops and it does much better but doing weddings I switch lenses a fair amount and if I ever forgot to change the exposure compensation it could really mess up some pics...

-seymore, its a used lens and I still have a few days where I can return it, which is what I'm gonna be doing if I cant figure out another way to fix it...

-r3t1awr3yd, I made sure any test I did, I set the aperature to the same value for both lenses. When set to manual both lenses exposed the same but the problem I have is using any of the in camera metering... plus one would thiink that if it were an issue with different speed lenses that the Tamron would overexpose since its a stop faster...

-ziggy, I acutally sold the D90 about a week ago but I tested it on two D300 bodies and got the same results with both. I can get my hands on a D200 and D3000 that I'll try to test it on when I get home...

Thank you all for the input!
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    jrmyrnsm wrote: »
    -amb2833, yeah I can set the camera to overexpose by 1 or 1 1/3 stops and it does much better but doing weddings I switch lenses a fair amount and if I ever forgot to change the exposure compensation it could really mess up some pics...

-seymore, its a used lens and I still have a few days where I can return it, which is what I'm gonna be doing if I cant figure out another way to fix it...

-r3t1awr3yd, I made sure any test I did, I set the aperature to the same value for both lenses. When set to manual both lenses exposed the same but the problem I have is using any of the in camera metering... plus one would thiink that if it were an issue with different speed lenses that the Tamron would overexpose since its a stop faster...

-ziggy, I acutally sold the D90 about a week ago but I tested it on two D300 bodies and got the same results with both. I can get my hands on a D200 and D3000 that I'll try to test it on when I get home...

Thank you all for the input!
    That's really, really weird. Post up when you find the solution!!

EDIT: This is intersting... http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=tamron+lens+underexposing

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr