Vintage glider: 1942 Schweizer

vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited June 17, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
These were taken at Mountain Valley Airport in Tehachapi, CA about two weeks ago. The glider is a SGS 2-8, also known as the TG-2 and was a training glider used by the Army during WW2. If you were going to fly an assault glider (as on D-Day) you might have begun your training in one of these. The glider shown served active duty in Arizona during WWII. Construction is mostly steel tube and fabric. Wingspan is 54ft, empty weight is about 450lbs.

4702816976_77caafabe5_b.jpg

4702818156_6390606b96_b.jpg

4702824448_5231161c02_b.jpg

4702192559_5bb7a75c7d_b.jpg

The TG-2 shares it's hanger with several other vintage gliders including a lovely, all wood, Bowlus BA-100 Albatross.

4702183973_fdef1b6117_b.jpg

C&C always appreciated.

Doug
"A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
My B&W Photos
Motorcycles in B&W

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Nice job!

The wood on the Bolus is something else! Absolutely gorgeous !

I used to fly an SZD-30 Pirat when I lived in the UK; used to fly from Weston-on-The-Green, just north of Oxford.

579084943_cLhhw-S.jpg

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Great shotsthumb.gif I'd been a pilot for several years before I got my first ride in a glider. I don't remember the brand name of the glider ( some European aerobatic-certified make ) but it was a ride I'll never forget. Your pictures really bring back the urge to get in one again. Nice work.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Howdy Doug,

Great shots and loved learning about the Gliders, and that last image of the Wooden body was really well done, and what a beautiful
    piece of work.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Thanks for comments, guys.

Will, that Pirat is a beautiful little plane, not one I've seen before.

Tom, glad you enjoyed the shots. Your vintage car photos have given me lots of smiles.

Craig, there's more shots of the wooden Bowlus on Flickr. Lovely airplane. It's said that the designer, Hawley Bowlus, carved wooden models of the glider until it looked just right to him and then engineered a full sized one. The one at Tehachepi was the first whole one I've ever seen in person. It's a real stunner. Little known fact too, Bowlus designed an early, all metal, aerodynamic travel trailer and one of his employees went on to found Airstream Trailers.

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W