Options

Help with photos indoors

BowserBowser Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 18, 2010 in Technique
Hi,

Can someone please help me, I use a DSLR and took some photos inside yesterday.
My shots had the windows in them and there was no definition at all, they were almost white and looked awful, however the rest of the picture looked fine.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 16, 2010
    Hi Bowser and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif. I moved your post to the Technique forum, which is a better place for it. The problem you had is common. Usually, the light coming through a window is much, much brighter than the light in a room, so if you expose properly for the subject in the room the window gets overexposed. There are a number of ways of dealing with this. Using flash and/or reflectors will help to equalize the light. You can just try to avoid having windows in the frame, though this is not always possible. You can also adjust your exposure manually to avoid overexposure, but you do run the risk of making the rest too dark. Sometimes it is possible to restore some detail in Photoshop or other photo editing software, but if the pics are too badly blown, then there's little anyone can do. If you post a sample, maybe we can help.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Could you please post a sample so we can actually see what went wrong? (as large an image as possible please.)
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    BowserBowser Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 16, 2010
    Hi, Sorry I have attached a pic, hope this works!
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    In a stationary almost empty white-room shot like this, and without flash/reflector and similar equipment, here's what I have done on several occasions: simply take two shots ... one exposed for the room, one exposed for the window(s). Then clone the properly exposed window area into the properly exposed room area (or overlay one on the other and erase through). The free EnfuseGUI at http://software.bergmark.com/enfuseGUI/Main.html will also help you with such blending. Either way, this should take under five minutes to do.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 17, 2010
    Henry gives some good advice. If you are shooting in raw format, you can also try doing two conversions on the same shot, one dark one (by lowering the exposure) for the window and a normal one for the rest, then combine them in PS or use the Enfuse software that Henry mentioned.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    Another alternative is to light the room to match the brightness of the outside, or like the image below shoot early in the morning so the outside brightness is more consistent with the inside brightness.

Sam