Options

Flash Value lock

cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited June 21, 2010 in Technique
I'll have to remember to process the two photos and post them, but here's the story. I was shooting my newborn son using my D300 with SB-600 mounted on-camera, bounced off the ceiling. Using TTL BL mode (IIRC), and the exposure settings were the same in both shots - probably something like 1/60 @ f/4 or so, but I don't remember off the top of my head. In the first, I simply focused and shot, flash fired, but the photo was fairly dark. In the second, I used FV lock and re-shot, and the photo was much brighter. Composition was the same, with my son in the center laying on Mom.

So my question:

I don't understand why they were different. My understanding of FV lock is that you use it when you want to get the flash exposure settings with subject centered, lock them in, then recompose and move the subject out of the center, since the light meter is in the center of the frame and would be too dark if the subject isn't centered. But if the subject is in the middle of the frame, shouldn't the result be very close to the same using FV lock or normal TTL flash?
Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
My site 365 Project

Comments

• Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    Here's the illustration of my question, if anyone has any insight.

Both photos at ISO200, f/5, 1/60s, using 35mm f/1.8 lens on D300 with SB-600 aboard, pointed straight up at the ceiling, in TTL mode. I used single point focus in the middle for both. One taken "normally," the other using FV lock. I don't understand why the light is so different.

Normal, no FV lock:
    20100618-_CAB0650-1.jpg

FV lock:
    20100618-_CAB0651-1.jpg
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    My understanding of FV is its to meter multiple remote flashes, along with your composition feature...and no preflash during the actual photo...
    Neither case my photos always seen to look better when I us it also.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    what exposure mode were you using? if you were using matrix metering then I agree the TTL flash should have been roughly the same output. I you had been using spot metering then things could change dramatically depending on what the spot was on.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    what exposure mode were you using? if you were using matrix metering then I agree the TTL flash should have been roughly the same output. I you had been using spot metering then things could change dramatically depending on what the spot was on.

I was using matrix metering, and was in manual, IIRC. I tried this with my D90 and the two photos look much more similar than these two did with the D300. I'm wondering if something is awry with my D300's flash metering...

ETA: However, I thought that the metering mode didn't particularly matter for the flash output level. It was my understanding that the flash metering used only the center of the frame, no matter what metering mode the camera is in for the exposure. That's why there is an FV lock in the first place, so you can get the flash value by centering your subject, lock it in, then recompose and the exposure will use the preset flash value rather than re-metering the (now empty) center of the frame and firing too much flash.
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    Maybe try a more controled experiment, in the pictures your subject appears to be leaning slightly differently and is in the center of the image so that could effect the flash eval.

Try the comparison with a static scene with the camera on a tripod, just to eliminate the variable a moving subject adds.

I was using matrix metering, and was in manual, IIRC. I tried this with my D90 and the two photos look much more similar than these two did with the D300. I'm wondering if something is awry with my D300's flash metering...

ETA: However, I thought that the metering mode didn't particularly matter for the flash output level. It was my understanding that the flash metering used only the center of the frame, no matter what metering mode the camera is in for the exposure. That's why there is an FV lock in the first place, so you can get the flash value by centering your subject, lock it in, then recompose and the exposure will use the preset flash value rather than re-metering the (now empty) center of the frame and firing too much flash.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    Based on my understanding of Canon, the TTL in its normal mode has a secret algorithm that makes its calculations on that which the preflash affects. So, that is not necessarily just the center, regardless of the focusing. Perhaps the FE-Lock changes that and locks based on the focus point? I've noticed some similar shifts in the Canon system from time to time, but I haven't done a rigorous experiment to get a bead on what is really going on.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    I did a test with my 7D and a gray card and could not see or measure any difference between using FEL and not using FEL. The flash was set to use ettl and the M on the camera with f7.1 1/60 sec. All the exposure was due to the flash, not ambient.

The photos are here if you want to look at the Exif

http://www.danalphotos.com/Other/temp/9344418_jYfFd#908962533_FBazz

Here is the FEL based exposure
    908968907_6ThNX-L.jpg

and here it is again with no FEL

908962533_FBazz-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    This was on a tripod, ISO200, f/4, 1/60, manual mode, matrix metering, TTL flash, single point focus in the center, right on the doll's eyes.

Normal flash:
    20100621-_CAB0738.jpg

Using FV lock:
    20100621-_CAB0738.jpg

Not a drastic difference, but the FV lock photo is brighter. The histogram basically just shifts horizontally a bit, but is otherwise the same shot to shot.

Normal:
    normal_flash.jpg

Using FV lock:
    FV_lock.jpg

I could try it stopped down more and/or faster shutter so that ambient doesn't come into play. Regarding the earlier comment, I have found that the difference I've noticed is more pronounced when shooting live subjects than static scenes.
    My site 365 Project