Options

(Borderline) Unhappy Customer

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited June 22, 2010 in Technique
I recently did a photo shoot for a customer. Shots consisted of people, artwork, crowds, etc.

Uploaded the shots to my smugmug account AND gave the customer five CDs of images.

Customer has paid and is now telling me that the shots are "unusable" as they are not in hi-res.

A sample of the shots can be seen by clicking here

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help
Jerry
www.meesoon.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Jerry,

This is half business and half technique / quality.

I apologize in advance, because this is going to be brutal. PLEASE do not take this personally!!!!

First I don't know what the contract / agreement was? If it was for high res images why didn't you provide high res files?

Second: I find the majority of these images unacceptable for a professional photographer.

These are snap shots. Many have white balance issues, overexposed, soft, and the overall crops don't really put into perspective the event.

This is tough shooting and does need some flash work. Fill flash in particular.

Some can be saved with photoshop. Did you shoot in RAW?

Sam :cry
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Sam has nailed it.

I looked through the images, and the most shots that I saw would be going straight to the recycling bin when I would start going through my pictures..

Sorry, but I am with the customer here.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    CLARIFICATION: The customer LOVED the images. The only issue was/is the res. She says it's less than 1K, but EXIF data shows otherwise.

Thanks for the input

Jerry Nelson
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    CLARIFICATION: The customer LOVED the images. The only issue was/is the res. She says it's less than 1K, but EXIF data shows otherwise.

Thanks for the input

Jerry Nelson
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com

your gallery is limited to Larges and has no exif available. Please set it so we can see the exif, thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    your gallery is limited to Larges and has no exif available. Please set it so we can see the exif, thanks.

Mmmm...how do I do that? (Make the EXIF visible). I was going on what photoshop was telling me about the images.

Blessings
    Jerry
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Mmmm...how do I do that? (Make the EXIF visible). I was going on what photoshop was telling me about the images.

Blessings
    Jerry

Gallery settings>Camera info>Yes
  • Options
    LiveAwakeLiveAwake Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2010
    You need to set your gallery settings to allow the largest image size to be "original." Then make sure that the images you are uploading have not been re-sized. In theory, though, if you gave the client a CD, you should have put the full-res images on the CD anyway?
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2010
    Also the question is what does one mean by high rez? I often have the question, what is big? What is high rez to you might not be to the customer. Perhaps getting a little more clarification of what the expectation is for what is high rez will help. For example when I talk high rez of images at the office, they think I am talking 1280x1024 images, when I talk with our marketing or PR firm or a magazine they are thinking 4000 x 3000 images. Same "term" but very different results of images. I would ask just the basic question of what do they mean by high rez. While more pixels is almost always better, sometimes numbers can be misleading.

You may also want to look at this page for some additional information on size and to assuage your customer's fears. Then again their concern might be that their prints from another printer might not be as expected. Part of this can be the difference between printers and screens.

I think getting a little more clarification on what their expectation and desire to use the files for will help determine if there is a problem with the files or not.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    crystallizedcrystallized Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Well typically, hi-res is Print ready...which would be 300DPI. I upload my 'Original' as 10x15 @ 300DPI, but always keep the RAW in case they want to go freakishly big haha!

And aside from the pictures, that painting is AMAZING and shoots beautifully! If you ever see that artist again, give him a big hug from me for being so awesome =]

Good luck in your resolve!