Convert RAW files to DNG (dng)?

ejg1890ejg1890 Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited June 17, 2010 in Finishing School
This topic may already have been opened in this forum but didn't find anything quickly.

I am going back to the drawing board regarding the management of my digital assets (DAM). As a result, I have been reading books, articles on the internet and forum "conversations". One area of great discussion is the process to convert the proprietary RAW files (Nikon, Canon, etc) to the dng format. I know a number of years ago the overwhelming response was NO to dng. However, this appears to have changed over the last 2-3 years.

In fact, as I have read there are a number of professional photographers who now convert to dng. The 2 primary reasons include: 1)Standard RAW format. They may have or have had several different camera manufacturers with different proprietary formats. The dng format standardizes there photo library to a single format. 2)DNG has a smaller file size than the proprietary RAW files. For the 20+mp cameras this can be more than 50% smaller. All this saves on disk space. (I know everyone states disk space is cheap, but looking at your primary storage as well as backup and archiving all that space adds up. Several hundred dollars here and there will eventually add up to thousands of dollars.)

The negatives for dng is it is not supported by the camera companies, and not all software supports dng. I have also read Adobe as submitted the dng specification to the ISO. If it does become an ISO standard, then dng support would move from adobe to an international cross company organization to define future specifications.

What are the thoughts of others on dng? Do you convert to dng? Why? Why not? Interested in hearing opinions.

Thanks

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    There are also a few cameras that offer DNG in camera..........I do keep my raws
    but I also convert to DNG for my working files...... I now exlusively use Adobe
    Products for my editing and the plugins are all Adobe compatible, so working with
    DNG;s not a problem for me......I do not embed my raw files in the DNG....I have a folder
    titled "Original Raw Files" for every shoot......I keep those just in case something
    should happen that DNG becomes a totally lost item with Adobe.....but I also do this
    because I have a Konica Minolta Camera (.MRW Raws), Nikon Cams (NEFS) and my sister has
    a canon p/s and I think it is .cr2, (I think)...........so everything gets DNG converted
    first...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    I go with DNG as it is just plain easier for me to not worry about having the right RAW converters installed. I also think that in the future it will save me trouble as it is an "open" format in theory. Once ratified and adopted it can become very powerful. Think about how ubiquitous PDFs are now, they are an open format now but started as proprietary.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • ejg1890ejg1890 Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    There are also a few cameras that offer DNG in camera..........I do keep my raws
    but I also convert to DNG for my working files...... I now exlusively use Adobe
    Products for my editing and the plugins are all Adobe compatible, so working with
    DNG;s not a problem for me......I do not embed my raw files in the DNG....I have a folder
    titled "Original Raw Files" for every shoot......I keep those just in case something
    should happen that DNG becomes a totally lost item with Adobe.....but I also do this
    because I have a Konica Minolta Camera (.MRW Raws), Nikon Cams (NEFS) and my sister has
    a canon p/s and I think it is .cr2, (I think)...........so everything gets DNG converted
    first...............

As stated I am looking at chaning my DAM approach. One of the issue is the different camera. My dslr's are Nikon, but I have used 2 Olympus cameras (each different RAW formats) and Canon for my underwater Pics. The dng format would make it easier as I would need to remember. However, I don't know if there are benefits for keeping the original RAW files.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 16, 2010
    If I would convert my CR2 files to dng, would I still have available the different camera profiles I am offered withCanon CR2 files in the Raw conversion process - landscape, portrait, camera neutral,Adobe, etc that I know see with CR2 files, or would I be limited to a singular camera profile, like I get with my GF1?

I like the choice of different camera profiles and would miss them if they disappeared.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 16, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    If I would convert my CR2 files to dng, would I still have available the different camera profiles I am offered withCanon CR2 files in the Raw conversion process - landscape, portrait, camera neutral,Adobe, etc that I know see with CR2 files, or would I be limited to a singular camera profile, like I get with my GF1?

I like the choice of different camera profiles and would miss them if they disappeared.

I'll check tonight as I have converted a group of DNG files to test. I believe the profiles are there as I do use the camera profiles on a regular basis.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 16, 2010
    Great, the profiles are the main reason I have stayed with RAW files, rather than dng, thus far.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 16, 2010
    Great, the profiles are the main reason I have stayed with RAW files, rather than dng, thus far.

I have verified the profiles are available for dng files. Select a small group of RAW files a convert to dng as a test. That's what I did. I was relieved to see that the converted dng files included the Lightroom/ACR modifications, so I did not need to redo all my previous work.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010

DNG is a raw file and the profiles are actually called DNG Camera Profiles (although you don't have to have a DNG to use them). The DNG spec has far more useful functionality in terms of the use of these profiles too (they get embedded into the DNG, multiple profiles are possible etc).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/