LR develop module export question ??

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited June 17, 2010 in Finishing School
Pertaining to my Lightroom develop module settings:
is there a way to export my post processed settings for an individual image to another computer without taking the entire catalog over also?

or is my only option to copy the history settings. Then manually reset each level in the develop module for each specific image after moving over to the other computer.
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Two ways come to mind. If the image isn't already on the second computer, just export it as a DNG since the DNG can contain all Lightroom settings. Not sure if you have to save metadata first but I'm guessing you don't have to.
    The second way would be do put the image it its own folder or collection and do an Export Catalog on that. The exported catalog would only contain that one image and its settings. Then import that little exported catalog into Lightroom on the other computer. You would have the choice as to whether to move the image over too, or just the settings.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Pertaining to my Lightroom develop module settings:
    is there a way to export my post processed settings for an individual image to another computer without taking the entire catalog over also?

or is my only option to copy the history settings. Then manually reset each level in the develop module for each specific image after moving over to the other computer.

Aaron, I'm not on my own computer at the moment so I can't check exact commands, but if you right click the image, then mouse down to the metadata option, a flyout menu should give you the option to write the metadata to a file. Click that and your processing should be save to the xmp file kept with the raw. That way you can just bring the raw and the xmp over for the image and you're set! thumb.gif

I've been able to open raws in PS with my LR changes applied.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    thanks guys, I believe making a 2nd catalog and dragging the individual images to a new folder there in that catalog is a solution.... I can separate the raw over to it and the module settings all at once.... now why didn't I think of that!
    Thanks ColourBox
    Aaron Nelson
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    The "export sub-catalog from one computer/import on another" technique is the standard way to transfer/sync images and settings from the LR catalog on a field laptop to a master LR catalog on an office desktop.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    colourbox wrote: »
    Two ways come to mind. If the image isn't already on the second computer, just export it as a DNG since the DNG can contain all Lightroom settings. Not sure if you have to save metadata first but I'm guessing you don't have to.

You'd be well advised to do a Update Metadata and embedded JPEG command on the DNG first.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/