Options

Attention Photoshop Elements users

kengladekenglade Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
edited June 17, 2010 in Technique
This is more or less a warning to be careful of NIK Software's claims that Silver Efex Pro will run in Photoshop Elements 6 and 8.

Since my particular interest is in b&w, I invested in Jason Odel''s e-book about Silver Efex Pro ("The Photographer's Guide to Silver Efex Pro"). An excellent book and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in SEP.

The rub, however, comes with NIK Software. My primary editor is NX2. Unfortunately, NIK doesn't provide a plug-in for the program, only for Photoshop, Aperture, and Lightroom. Based on NIK's assertion that SEP would run in PSE 6 or 8 (as part of Photohop), I ordered the disk at a not inconsiderable fee.

Unfortunately, I cannot get it to load in PSE 6, which I've been using as sort of a backup editor. I went to the Adobe site and decided to get the trial version of PSE 8, thinking it might be more amenable to SEP.

But SEP will not load in PSE 8 either.

I have tried contacting NIK tech support but all attempts have been met with an automated response saying I could expect an answer in "one or two business days." It has now been 36+ hours since my initial request and I have heard nothing.

I contacted Adobe support and they said they could not "guarantee" that SEP would work in either PSE 6 or 8. I was told off the record that the odds are about even.

I admit I'm more than a little steamed, not only by a lack of response from NIK but by NIK's apparently misleading claim that SEP will run in PSE. I'm blaming NIK.

Apparently there is no question that SEP will run in CS, but I am not willing to buy CS when I have a perfectly good editor in NX2, with which I'm totally satisfied.

Given the circumstances, I'll probably buy PSE 8 since it's time for an upgrade anyway. As for SEP, I only hope I can get my money back if I can't get it to work.