Best Plants For Bugs

Noah212Noah212 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited June 20, 2010 in Holy Macro
I'm wondering if there are any plants that are particularly attractive to bugs. I know I could google this, but I wanted to know what plants you guys have that work well for getting cool looking bugs. What works best? Thanks.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    Can only say what works in my garden. I have quite a few evergreen shrubs which provide cover for bugs eg camelias,rhododendrons, miniature firs, holly. Then flowering shrubs such as hebe, potentilla, bottlebrushes, buddlia, lace hydrangea. A small pond also helps.
    Many herbaceaous perennials are good- eg margeurites.I've just about accidently managed to have something flowering in the garden from January to October - haven't used insectacide in the garden for over 20 years but don't get serious outbreaks of any pests, the bugs just get controlled by natural predators etc. One other point is I always collect Autumn leaf falls and scatter them around the bases of the plants. Good for the plants but also good for bugs to overwinter and hide in.

Brian V.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    Depends on where you live, of course. In New England, where I live, some of the plants that attract a lot of polinators are several varieties of hydrangeas (e.g., PGs and oak leafs), seemingly any variety of echinacea, lavender, & gaillardia. Bees love sedum (spelling?), rhododendrons, and some of the roses we grow. There seem to be some strong preferences. E.g., I find tiny flies on yarrow and gaillardia but less on other things. Many species of wasps seem to prefer our hollies and largely ignore a huge nearby PG hydrangea even when it is full of bumblebees, honeybees, bottle flies, and all sorts of other species. I haven't figured out the preferences of the various hoverflies we get.
  • Noah212Noah212 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    Thanks so much LordV and paddler. I live in the North East and have a pretty big garden with lots of bugs. However, there are lots of exotic bugs that I've seen on the forums that I wish I had here. I usually see hoverflies, dragonflies, weevils, leaf hoppers, butterflies, moths, jumper spiders, bumble bees, wasps, houseflies, ants, damselflies, ichneumon wasps, ladybugs, inchworms, and oak bush cricket nymphs. I know that I have many different kinds of bugs, but like I said, I'm looking for the more exotic kinds (like the praying mantis).

Also, the dragonflies I get are VERY sensitive (If I come within 10 feet it will scram). Are there any plants that attract lots of non-sensitive dragonflies?

Thanks so much.
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    Noah212 wrote: »
    Also, the dragonflies I get are VERY sensitive (If I come within 10 feet it will scram). Are there any plants that attract lots of non-sensitive dragonflies?

thats normal , plants wont change that
    try shooting early in the morning ,
    when they are not warmed up yet
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    Not likely to find praying mantids in the UK - the ones people post here from the UK are kept as pets :)

Re dragonflies - Rather depends on the species but darters will happily perch on canes in sunny positions and you can gradually get them used to you being close. Also obviously depends on how the dragonfly is feeling. I've now managed to get darters, Broad bodied chasers and hawker dragonflies perched on my fingers.

Brian v.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    the dragonflies I get are VERY sensitive (If I come within 10 feet it will scram). Are there any plants that attract lots of non-sensitive dragonflies?

Well, I have not done nearly as well in this respect as Brian, but I have two observations that might help. First, there is a big difference among species. E.g., I have found that violet tail damselflies are far less skittish than the smaller bluets. Second, I have found that they tend to be less skittish if approached from their own level or below. Coming at them from above seems to scare them off more quickly. I have found this with some other types of bugs as well.
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    dont know if color matters
    but , i agree on approaching angle , and is obvious
    main predators [birds] come from above , not from below