Options

Erica & Matt | Princeton U | esession

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited June 26, 2010 in Weddings
Word to the wise do not go meet new clients, deliver freshly made cheesecakes, swim 10 laps and then shoot an engagement session in one day. Well maybe not the swimming 10 laps 30 minutes before the engagement session.

Erica and Matt. What a crazzzzy couple! Crazy in terms of hilarious and goofy antics! On the blog.

Here are some highlights:

1. 908710504_Xakdp-L.jpg

908709367_koPZZ-L.jpg

908709241_zFVZ3-L.jpg
A little centered.. oh well.

908708801_4NCbA-L.jpg

908708328_4ckmP-L.jpg

908708274_5E8cP-L.jpg

908707753_nPhdB-L.jpg

908707552_VnoCd-L.jpg

908706936_SRkK4-L.jpg

908706901_jydSt-L.jpg

908706255_xFxsr-L.jpg

908705716_4Tv8R-L.jpg
Oh snap attack!

908705305_JedED-L.jpg

908704567_PSvQ3-L.jpg

908703905_JMxrs-L.jpg

908703021_K5Vbh-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!! :D:D
Food & Culture.
www.tednghiem.com

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Wow, you got a very diverse set here, Ted. Well done! clap.gif May I ad my 2 cents? :D

#1. Not liking the position of the rail ...
    #2. Nice catch, I like the balloons on the side ...
    #3. Love this one, I think it's my favorite iloveyou.gif
    #4. Hm, this however ... I'm not sure. I like "sneaky" photos, but this one doesn't do it for me
    #5. Cute in theory, BUT his hand is awkward, and she somehow looks bigger than she really is.
    #6. Cute. I like the flair and the pose, I just wish they would be standing next to something. To me they look a bit lost in space ... and ... are they tilting a bit?
    #7. I like this one
    #8. LOVE this one, haha, very cute catch! iloveyou.gif
    #9. Nice
    #10. Nice ... but his aaaarmmmmm :cry
    #11. Nice but nothing toooooo Ted-special ne_nau.gif
    #13. thumb.gif
    #14. Hm, not liking this one too much ... I'd like to see what you are shooting trough
    #15. I like it, very pretty. Would just clone out that white, small thing flying around on the left
    #16. Don't care much for this one. I tried something similar not too long ago, didn't then work either ne_nau.gif I guess in your case I don't like the "empty" space on the right + top left ...

Thanks for sharing. As always, interesting stuff clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    Thanks, angie, always appreciated! :D

As for #14. I forget what I was shooting into. Could be that big rock ball from above. #16 was a chance. I didn't expect too much from that mirror above, but I wanted to give it a shot.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    OK, it might be just me but the nike swoosh is killing me! I would edit it out...its the first thing i see when looking at the photos!

i like #3 centered...i think. wouldn't mind seeing it both ways before making my final decision :)

#4 not my fav. doesn't do much for me.

#5 love this moment and shot! great light IMO.

#8 love the colors and moment. do you have any with him in the photo too.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    Hmmm...this looks like it must have been a tough one Ted!

1. This is pleasant. I like the flare, and the interaction seems natural, though not oozing any sought after emotion. A good warm-up shot though.

2. Concept is good and use of the balloons is good, but the sale text on the ribbons and reflected in the glass really kills this one for me. Not sure where your sun was coming from in this case but if you could have used it to pull your couples reflection off the glass this could have been spectacular. If you would have moved right and the couple spun left I think you could have nailed it on all counts. Not a bad shot really and decent expression from them but the big ballon-worthy sale at the store kills it for me. IMO text in the frame should have relavance, especially if it is pronounced as it is here.

3. I'm going to make a somewhat general disagreement with our lovely leader and say that I PREFER to see less of the foreground item. I think this shot would have been far stronger if you would have shot it bluring the leaves more than you did. It looks like it was shot around 35-50mm and f14 or so, but 100+mm at f4 or so would have removed the detail from your foreground blur and you would have seen more of the beautiful building. With a more open aperture you can actually see through items in the foreground... This is probably the best expression out of him you are showing us but the leaves over-dominate the frame and take away from what I personally would like to focus on in this shot. As for centered, I would crop them off center but not for the resons of general composition but to ditch some of the leaves that dominate the frame.

4. His posturing with his hand loosely hanging over her shoulder and then in his lap seems rather ho-hum-y to me. She seems into it but he seems bored. I do like how you used the stone finial, but I don't like the clear focus on the background to the right. I would crop this one in tighter. It also is bluer than most of the rest of the series so I would look to match the white balance a little better. This would have been a great time for some flash to get some light on the couple so that they don't seem underexposed compared to the brick wall behind them.

5. This one is pretty good. Her expression isn't overly romantic or pleasing to me but that may be just what she does and that is cool... like I said, seems like a tough couple! Personally I think a long lens, like a 135 or 200 would have been better here as it would have compressed the length of their bodies going away from you and would have allowed you to add some interest in the foreground. I would also push the exposure on this one to be more like #1.

6. This one I like. I like how their shadow goes to the lower corner of the frame... it sucks your eyes towards them a bit and that is thumb.gif. There seems to be a slight tilt left which is probably highlighted by her leaning a bit left but probably nbd. If you shot this location a few ways stepping back to get more of the shadow and more of the building in the negative space would have been another great composition of what you have going on here. Having her point her feet to the right more and turning her trunk back toward you would have slenderized her some as would have side lighting.

7. This is a nice shot. Hard to tell this small but squinting at it his head seems a bit elongated due to some wide angle distortion. I can see something like this as a 24x36 print and really looking nice on their wall. Having the complete arch would have been better and maybe the top of the clock, but those are small nits as the image is a strong one and probably really gives them the view of them at Princeton that they were looking for when they picked the location.

8. my favorite shot of her. This seems to be the real her and she looks most beautiful in this shot. I'm sure he will cherish this shot for ever. Her eyes are dark so again some fill would have been nice... even a reflector if you are opposed to fill flash, but mostly an A+ on that one.

9. They look stiff here... moving them forward to get their heels off the raised threshold and get them more into the light would have been better. I like the comp though.

10. Huge elbow and backfat is what I see first. Lack of hands and a poor angle for a girl who is built like her. I don't think I would deliver this one.

11. Cool shot! I think I would crop it in more if it were me, but it looks pretty good as is.

12. Probably a fun memory from the day for them, but for me, not being there, it is just a centered shot on a boring stucco wall.

13. I like it but it seems a little too cool to me. I would warm this up a tad, but I like the comp.

14. I don't mind the indistinguishable foreground as much as Angie does, but I again don't like the up angle for her and her expression isn't doing it for me. This may be just how she shows her passion so to them it may be money, IDK.

15. This is nice but the chopped hands is a killer for me.

16. I don't care for this one at all. Good try but it doesn't really do anything for me with all the monotone negative space.

Well, overall Ted I have to say this is far from the best I have seen from you. Hopefully you aren't taking any of this wrong. It took me a day or two to decide if I wanted to express my opinions here... They are obviously a tough couple to shoot and I have to say I am just not seeing any of the crazy you talked about or much of the emotion and love that they assuredly have for one another.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2010
    Crazy in terms of their verbatim. haha! Thanks for the C&C. Don't worry, Matt. I don't take things seriously, anyway, and accept most crits.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    good stuff ted..you do the negative space thing well...maybe a touch overdone in some shots though.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    Crazy in terms of their verbatim. haha! Thanks for the C&C. Don't worry, Matt. I don't take things seriously, anyway, and accept most crits.
    seriously or personally?
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2010
    mmmatt wrote: »
    seriously or personally?

Both. I am pretty laid back. ha!

Thanks, Qarik!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    2, 3, 7, 13 and 15....15 being the clear winner for me! Nice set.